Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I crazy? >

Am I crazy?

Am I crazy?

Old 09-02-2016, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

The LA needs to know what happened with the batting. Her response will tell volumes about her business ethic.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:06 AM

I agree with everyone's posts...

Definitely take a "before" picture.

Definitely show the LA'er. As a LA'er myself, I would be HORRIFIED to know that the batting did this!! I would immediately figure out some way to make you (my customer) happy. I would want to know so that I don't use this batting ever again!!! And as Jane Quilter said, offer to "skin" the quilt yourself, and see how your LA'er reacts as far as reparations go.

Good luck with the skinning/frogging. Yes, it's very, very sad, but you will be glad you did it in the long run.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Not all wool battings are washable, so it might not be a quality issue. I recall someone describing the Hobb's Tuscany wool batting dissolving in the way you describe, when washed (but that was a test wash of the batting itself, when not incorporated into a quilt). But the longarmer should have mentioned if it was not a washable wool. I agree, definitely tell her what happened.
I completely agree. In some markets, it is more important to customers that they get the least expensive batting than that the batting is high enough quality to withstand the rigors of washing & daily use. For future reference, the type of batting, type/color/weight of thread & quilting design should all be agreed to in writing before the LA begins her work. If that was done & the batting she used should have been washable, I would contact her first & if unresolved, contact the batting company. As long as you abided by the recommended washing instructions, they should stand behind their product & offer you a free replacement batt.

As for the stitching, I would rip it out & re-quilt it (with Hobb's Heirloom wool).
Old 09-02-2016, 06:39 AM

You are definitely "not crazy". My friend had a quilt quilted by a longarmer and she was unhappy with the results. Soooo-with help of a few quilting friends that meet-we all worked and unquilted her quilt. It didn't take long and with many hands we got it done. We all knew she would not use the quilt that she worked so hard on. I say take out the quilting and you will be much happier. Good luck
Old 09-02-2016, 06:42 AM

I know there is a way to skin from the back with a rotary cutter. I've not tried it though.

I agree though with showing the quilt to the LA'er so she can know what happened in case her batting was just bad.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:53 AM

I have been known to take apart a queen sized quilt that I had quilted myself on my domestic machine because after I got it done I decided I didn't like the quilting. It didn't take all that long and after I'd re-quilted it I was very glad I did.

Take it apart from the back so you don't damage the top. It will probably also be easier to see the stitching from the back side.
Rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 09-02-2016, 06:55 AM

No, you aren't.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
I know there is a way to skin from the back with a rotary cutter. I've not tried it though.
I've done it several times, not with a rotary cutter though. I do contract work for a local LAer and when she first started her business, she had a few easy-to-make mistakes. I've frogged a couple of quilts for her, and a few for friends and others.

I found the fastest and easiest way FOR ME was to use a box knife type of blade and, working from the back, pull the backing away from the batting to expose the threads, and just touch the thread. When the blade is sharp, the threads just melt away. The blade doesn't get anywhere near the top, and I've never had any accidents. It goes pretty fast. I frogged a queen size quilt in one afternoon. The down side is you end up with a thousand tiny pieces of thread all over the top. I usually use a lint roller, which works great unless it's a flannel quilt. I won't use this technique on flannel. When I find myself using any kind of pressure on the blade to push it through the thread, it's time to use the other end of the blade, or get a new one.

I found the most comfortable spot was at my dining room table, with good lighting, cheater glasses, an extra foam pad for my southern end, and my laptop playing something on Netflix that I can listen to but not watch, such as a movie I've already seen, or a documentary.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I agree here. let the LAer know what happened if it's been recent. I helped my neighbor "skin' a king size. I grabbed my 28mm rotary cutter. It's small enough and doesn't cramp the hands. Very little pressure and works like a charm. just spread the backing with a small amount of pull and slide the rotary cutter down. When she saw me do it, she got hers out and we had it done within 30 minutes. Did not cut into any fabric. We started with the binding. You just press the blade barely against the thread and away you go. I use my 28 mainly for issues like these.
Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post

I agree though with showing the quilt to the LA'er so she can know what happened in case her batting was just bad.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:58 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post

I found the fastest and easiest way FOR ME was to use a box knife type of blade and, working from the back, pull the backing away from the batting to expose the threads, and just touch the thread. When the blade is sharp, the threads just melt away. The blade doesn't get anywhere near the top, and I've never had any accidents. It goes pretty fast. I frogged a queen size quilt in one afternoon. The down side is you end up with a thousand tiny pieces of thread all over the top. I usually use a lint roller, which works great.
This is what I usually do whenever I need to take out a long line of stitches whether pieced or quilted only I do use the smallest rotary cutter as tessagin mentioned. And as Peggi said, whatever you use it needs to be sharp because you do only just touch the stitch to cut it and then pull the fabric gently away so a few more stitches come out on their own. Sorry you have to do this but if you love the quilt top you made, you will be glad you did. And yes, talk gently to you LA'er so she knows what happened.

Last edited by KLO; 09-02-2016 at 11:00 AM.