Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt magazines >

Quilt magazines

Quilt magazines

Old 09-29-2016, 03:19 AM

This is going to make a lot of people cringe, but when I found myself in this predicament last year, I offered two grocery bags full of neatly stacked quilting magazines to my neighbor, a kindergarten teacher. She jumped at the offer and came to me later to tell me how much the children enjoyed the pictures and how useful it was to have this resource to do so many teaching exercises. I don't regret my decision. And the local thrift shop doesn't want any more magazines!
Old 09-29-2016, 04:18 AM

I had the same dilemna a couple of weeks ago. What I did was go thru all the magazines and pick out the information that was worth saving and then scanned it and threw away the magazine
Old 09-29-2016, 04:24 AM

So many good ideas. Many of them take a lot of time, which you don't have. But this is what was happening to our old magazines.
For the last 10 years we had about 2 boxes of old magazines at our quilt show. We charged $.25 for them and not too many of them went. We, of course, added newer ones every year.

This year, I said why don't we just give them away. Then I thought let's put a container there for a free will offering?
We got rid of many more of the magazines, and you'd be surprised how much money was in that container.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:33 AM

I take mine to my quilt guild's free table.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Put in trash bags. Place on curb with a sign that says Free Quilt Magazines/Books. They will be gone in no time. I do this with most all items I want to get rid of. Nothing is ever left.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:14 AM

Donate them please to thrift stores. I have bought hundreds of quilt magazines and just adore them all. I have gone to a recycling center and dug them out of the bins, I love them that much. So please don't destroy them, they have worth. Donate them to retirement centers, someone will love looking at the beautiful quilts.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:26 AM

I regularly take unwanted magazines to my guild's "free" table.

I have also taken a stack of magazines to National shows where they have a table set up for advertising pamphlets. Those magazines are always gone by the time I leave the show.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Most of us cringe at the thought of just dumping them into recycling.

But sometimes the space recovered is more valuable than whatever it is that is being dumped/recycled.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
Donate them please to thrift stores. I have bought hundreds of quilt magazines and just adore them all. I have gone to a recycling center and dug them out of the bins, I love them that much. So please don't destroy them, they have worth. Donate them to retirement centers, someone will love looking at the beautiful quilts.
I totally agree! I am the same! If you can't find someone who wants them, a thrift store will. I don't subscribe to any magazine, so finding them in thrift stores always make my day. For Christmas one year I was given a stack of old magazines... The best Christmas gift ever!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:47 AM

I hope you do not throw them away the old magazines are priceless And there are lots of people looking for them try thrift centers. quilt guilds and even second hand book stores also our senior centers love getting them there is also someone there that will take some of them in fact I know one senior center that got a bunch and started a quilting group the runs from 8 to 4 Mon. thru Fri. and has since received lots of donated fabric and even sewing machines now they are making quilts for donations that send to areas of fire, earthquakes, tornadoes and whatever so there is really a place for everything