Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt top vs quilting joy? >

Quilt top vs quilting joy?

Quilt top vs quilting joy?

Old 11-08-2009, 05:16 PM

Ok I am going to admit it in print. I LOVE making quilt tops and absolutely HATE the quilting part. Am I alone? I go all bang up on making the tops, hours, I never get tired then when it comes to putting them to the backs, and quilting.. I dread it. I wait til the last minute. Any suggestions on how to make it .. fun? I could make a queen sized top each month or two twins no issue.. not very warm those tops. Nor are they exciting to receive I think.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Not at all! :D Piecing is always the best part for me. Choosing colors and patterns - seeing your vision coming to life. It's exciting and fun.

Once I've got the top finished, the rest seems almost chorelike at times. Especially the binding, which I absolutely DETEST.

I don't know how to make it more fun but I'll be checking this thread for ideas. I tried FMQ on my last quilt and I did find that to be more fun than just ditch stitching.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

I'm right there with you too. Right now I have 2 large and 2 small quilts ready to finish. Instead, I join swaps and start new projects.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:27 PM

I can relate to that. I tried something different with this last one. I am almost done a lap qult for a gf who is a breast cancer survivor. I did part of the quilting by machine, now I am handquilting the block centres. Kind of a nice change as I can work on it and still spend an evening with my hubby. A little less monotonous than all machine quilting...and adds a little more character. This also allows me to have more than one project going...I have piecing going on in the sewing room, and finishing in the LR.

Patti
Old 11-08-2009, 05:28 PM

I can get the tops done, and then do hand quilting with the ladies at church and we can get them done! It helps doing them with friends!
Old 11-08-2009, 05:31 PM

I'm like you - love the piecing, but hate the quilting!! Even with the frame my DH made me, it's still a 'chore'!
I tend to put it off until I can't anymore.
I also love doing the binding! I hand sew the back part while watching movies on Lifetime or Hallmark channels! :wink:
Old 11-08-2009, 05:32 PM

I am not a hand quilter......... lucky me I have two girl friends who have longarm quilters......
I keep saying that I am going to do a quilt as you go & at least quilt one quilt by hand....... It is just so much easier to have one of my friends do the quilting. :oops:
I just never got that rocking motion down.... when it come to the hand quilting......... Have thought about getting an Aunt Becky and try that.
Scrap Quilter
Old 11-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Not a hand quilter at all!!!! Bindings are hard enough for me to complete!!

I have a new toy, a Mega Quilter maching with the Inpira frame and hopefully I can master that well enough to help me quilt my 10+ tops!!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:06 PM

Gosh, I'm not the only one. I figure it's all ok though, if I were to die just the tops done, I'd still have something to "give". If I concentrate all my efforts on the total thing, I'd get bogged down. So for now, I have a pile of tops, but that is better than a pile of scraps!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 PM

I must be then the only one who hates the top part, but love the quilting. I make tops because otherwise I don't have abything to quilt, even though I am about to jump into a whole cloth quilt.

Maria