Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yikes!  Need some positive thoughts for my long arm machine! >

Yikes! Need some positive thoughts for my long arm machine!

Yikes! Need some positive thoughts for my long arm machine!

Old 12-14-2016, 08:05 AM

Went on 5 day trip over Thx Giving. Hurt you leg/ knee stretching by getting in/ out of big van . Since then I have lot my interest too. Weather is good so no excuse for that and Christmas is under control. I think of all the sewing I could have done in this time. What a waste but the mojo is gone so I wanted others to know you are not alone.
Seems all I do is eat, sleep and read computer with ice pack on my knee.
New year we can start fresh.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 AM

For the comment about oiling...
as one of the others has said, I don't think you can OVER OIL our longarms. I usually start my machine in manual mode (off to the side of any quilt that's loaded), and start oiling. I can tell by the "sound" when she's no longer "thirsty".

For the comments about losing interest...
well, that happens to all of us.

For me, sometimes I just don't feel like doing ANYTHING quilt-related... or even sewing related. So, I stay away from the sewing room for a little while... maybe spend my time reading, or messing with my farm stuff, or whatever. Then, I will see something that will re-ignite the fire, and off I go again, sewing and stitching away. Sometimes it's the weather, sometimes it's just LIFE overwhelming us all. Don't beat yourself up about it, just give it time. You may find the fire re-ignited, or you may find that your time is better spent on something else - gardening, times with grandkids, whatever. If it's the latter, then you need to take stock of your sewing/quilting tools and equipment, and decide what to keep... or not.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:39 PM

WooHoo!! Went to play with long arm today--put on a practice piece and then DRENCHED the oil like the dealer suggested and sewed--NO screeching sound, not even faintly like I had been hearing so feel much better! Will do the same again either tomorrow or Sunday like he suggested, but at this point I think I rescued the internal workings that he was afraid I might have caused to freeze up(although never had stitch issues). Whew! such relief I'm feeling.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:52 AM

Find a local charity group and quilt for them. It's a good way to get in some practice. If you don't have a local group, try an online source like QOV or Quilts for Kids. They're always looking for longarmers.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I am now glad I bought a Juki. I almost bought a Gammill.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
thanks all--actually this issue was my fault, cause I was under oiling--corrected now and working fine. Ready for that heirloom quilting project--after Christmas.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
I bought a Juki also. Had a quilt on quilting away and the Quilt Motion went crazy! This was a customer quilt and I freaked out. Thank goodness for tech support.