2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-14-2017, 11:50 AM

Martina, I'm so sorry to hear about your pup.

Hugs,
Rob
Old 05-14-2017, 08:00 PM

Our pets are part of our family and it is certainly hard to lose one. Thinking of you!

Connie
Old 05-16-2017, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
...I started the music quilt and got quite a bit done Friday night but then our pup took a turn for the worse and we had to send her over the rainbow bridge yesterday. What an emotional day. I tried to get back to sewing but literally fell asleep at the needle. I figured that wouldn't end up in a neat 1/4" seam so I called it a day and took a long nap instead. Planning to get back to it today - in much better spirits.
Prayers for you, Martina. It is hard to lose a fur-baby - they are just as much our family as the people in our lives. Sometimes I think it's harder, as we can't communicate our love so completely to them.

Well, I finished piecing the Dr. Seuss quilt, and rummaged through my stash to come up with some backing. I have someone interested in buying it, so that's a good thing too.

Some of the scraps are polka-dots, and I also have other polka-dot scraps from the embroidered animals quilt. I'm putting them into the "Metro Medallion" pattern from Sew Kind of Wonderful. I've found enough stash to do the setting fabric as well as backing. Altogether, it comes to about 9-10 yards used, and it's all from my stash.

Being out of work is both good and bad... good, because I have time to work in the garden and my sewing room, bad because I'm stressing about paying the bills.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Any prospects, leta?
My DH is going to retire in July and I am stressing about that change. I am a worry-wart for sure.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Any prospects, leta?
My DH is going to retire in July and I am stressing about that change. I am a worry-wart for sure.
I actually got a call this afternoon for a follow-up interview. I was told I was the ONLY candidate they have contacted for this 2nd round of talks, so that's encouraging.

My DH retired back in January, so being unemployed is doubly stressful because of that. But, at the same time, we are definitely getting a LOT done in the garden, and elsewhere here on the farm. This is giving us a small taste of how it might be when I retire myself... but since there's 6 years difference between us, and I fall in the age-range where I have to be 67 to get full retirement, that's a decade or so away.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
krystyna, nothin' says lovin' like octopus fabric.
I literally laughed out loud when I read this! Sooooooo Funny :-)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Follow-up call sounds very promising. We are in a similar situation. Pat is going to retire on July 1 and I will be working for a bit longer. 6 years between us too. I am a little concerned about the money situation. If push comes to shove I'll have him sell produce. lol
Old 05-17-2017, 06:40 AM

Love those colors in baby quilt Princess.

Martina sorry about your pet. Quilty hugs going out to you dear.

Well I made it through the Mother's Day sales but it was a close thing there. Into carts and left there. I can almost pat myself on the back since even looking was tempting myself.

Interesting how many of us are in similar boats as far as retirement. Hubs is thinking about retiring at the end of the year and money is always a little scary. We've been over and over scenarios in our head but can anybody be completely prepared? It's definitely a big life changed.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:05 AM

Erin and Martina -
On the subject of your husbands retiring, one thing that will definitely help is if HE fixes dinner several nights a week. Mine hardly ever did before, when we were BOTH working, but when he retired, he realized (1) how much $$ it saves us and (2) how much I truly appreciate not having to come home from a 1-hour commute and fix dinner OR pick up fast food. Fast food gets old really quick. I did make a big (complimentary) fuss over him doing that, how much I appreciate it, etc.,etc., so he gets it. He's getting better at using the crock pot too. You will figure things out. My hubby fortunately is not quite tech-savvy enough to make purchases online, and I have not bought anything except our food pretty much since March 1st, so there's not a lot of excessive spending going on.

My follow-up interview is in 2 hours, so I'm really hopeful. The recruiter said they want the new person on board well before June 1st, as the person I would be replacing leaves then. Hopefully, I'll start next Monday.
In the meantime, I've had a few other calls from recruiters, so something will come along. It IS stressful though.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Best of luck, Leta