Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me.. I have absolutely no idea! >

Please help me.. I have absolutely no idea!

Please help me.. I have absolutely no idea!

Old 12-29-2016, 12:57 AM

Default Please help me.. I have absolutely no idea!

My mother passed away from cancer in 2014, and I inherited her sewing machine. I'm only 28 and really have no idea what I'm doing.. I'm a nurse with no sewing experience, but I'd like to make my two adopted ex-racing greyhounds some dog beds and eventually sew minor things.

Anyway, the machine is a hardly used Pfaff tiptronic 2040. I've figured out how to thread and load the bobbin, and hand thread the needle as I can't figure out the needle threaded thing, but the problem I keep having is it's not sewing...

The needle keeps unthreading itself as soon as it starts moving, and then the bobbin thread stuff gets itself knotted up..

I'm incredibly embarrassed asking such silly questions, but I'd love to just get it to sew a straight line..

Thank you if you've got this far!!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:52 AM

I'm sorry about your mom. Craftsy is a great site with tutorials. If you get any of them you can jot notes and it bookmarks them. That way you can refer to them at any time.

Here's a link to your manual if you don't have one. Read through this and then you can refer to it.
https://www.google.com/#q=pfaff+tipt...ner%27s+manual

Here is a link to my Google search for Youtube videos on how to sew using a machine.
https://www.google.com/#q=youtube+ho...sewing+machine

Your top thread (the one through the needle)......when you start sewing you have to hold that thread until you get going.

I wonder with your bobbin if it's in upside-down.

I hope this helps!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:08 AM

Thank you! I've looked through the manual.. If I hold the top thread it still pulls from my hand..
Will try again in the morning with the bobbin in the other way!
thank you
Old 12-29-2016, 02:44 AM

Go to the Pfaff website and locate a machine dealer near you. ( if you dont know where Mom bought the machine) Ask them to help you with getting started with your moms' machine. You will then have an opportinuty to ask questions and gain tips about the machine. Pethaps if you explain the circumstances of how you acguired the manine..they may not charge a fee for a lesson. Assuming that they might charge a fee. And yes, You Tube videos can be helpful too. Have fun and welcome to the wonderful world and sisterhood of sewists!

Sandy
Old 12-29-2016, 03:41 AM

I agree to find a Pfaff dealer and see if they can help you. In the meantime, make sure your needle is all the way up before you thread it. If your machine has a needle up/down button press it to make sure the needle is UP. Then thread it. Check your manual to make sure the bobbin is in correctly. There should be a diagram that shows how to thread and get the bobbin in correctly.
If the needle is not all the way up, that thread will pull out of the eye every time. If the bobbin is in wrong you will get a tangled mess on that side of your fabric.
Good luck and don't be embarrassed by asking any question, sewing/quilting is another whole language, kinda like nursing. Once you know the "lingo" you will be set.
And welcome from one newbie poster to another.
Murphy
Old 12-29-2016, 04:03 AM

Try pulling more thread through the needle before you start. Do this while the foot is still up. Make sure there is fabric beneath the needle when you take the first stitch.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingFeathers View Post
My mother passed away from cancer in 2014, and I inherited her sewing machine. I'm only 28 and really have no idea what I'm doing.. I'm a nurse with no sewing experience, but I'd like to make my two adopted ex-racing greyhounds some dog beds and eventually sew minor things.

Anyway, the machine is a hardly used Pfaff tiptronic 2040. I've figured out how to thread and load the bobbin, and hand thread the needle as I can't figure out the needle threaded thing, but the problem I keep having is it's not sewing...

The needle keeps unthreading itself as soon as it starts moving, and then the bobbin thread stuff gets itself knotted up..

I'm incredibly embarrassed asking such silly questions, but I'd love to just get it to sew a straight line..

Thank you if you've got this far!!
May need some maintenance and adjustment. Suggest taking in to sew/vac shop
Old 12-29-2016, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Go to the Pfaff website and locate a machine dealer near you. ( if you dont know where Mom bought the machine) Ask them to help you with getting started with your moms' machine. You will then have an opportinuty to ask questions and gain tips about the machine. Pethaps if you explain the circumstances of how you acguired the manine..they may not charge a fee for a lesson. Assuming that they might charge a fee. And yes, You Tube videos can be helpful too. Have fun and welcome to the wonderful world and sisterhood of sewists!

Sandy
Yes when taking in used machine, I think it is wise to have it serviced.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:03 AM

Are you making sure the pressure foot is up while you are threading the machine. If not it will throw the tension off and cause you problems. Are you located around any stores that handle your machine. I know here there are stores for about all machines. Even our Tidewater Sew n Vac will help even if they don't sell the machines. A few classes would be a great idea to get you started. You may like it once you get started without all of the frustrations. Before you start sewing, hold onto the needle thread and rasie the needle down and up by using the wheel on the side and see if it pulls the bobbin thread to the top, right under the needle. If not it may not be thread right in the bobbin area.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:32 AM

Before you thread the machine turn the hand wheel on the right to the point where the needle is highest and just starting it's return down. This will limit help with the thread pulling back out