Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me.. I have absolutely no idea! >

Please help me.. I have absolutely no idea!

Please help me.. I have absolutely no idea!

Old 12-29-2016, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

This was alluded to in a previous post, but when threading, it's important that the presser foot is up until you get the thread to the needle. This allows it to seat in the tension mechanism. When you get to the needle, put the foot down and give the thread a bit of a tug. You should feel resistance. then thread the needle. Pull about a 3 or 4 inch thread tail to hold onto when starting. It really does sound like a thread path issue. Bobbin in wrong, machine threaded incorrectly. Oh, and if you just put a needle in, make sure it's in correctly.
You could also have a friend or coworker who sews give you a quick lesson to get you going
Old 12-29-2016, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingFeathers View Post
Thank you! I've looked through the manual.. If I hold the top thread it still pulls from my hand..
Will try again in the morning with the bobbin in the other way!
thank you
i have an old tiptronic also. they are backwards to my singer & necchis as far as the bobbin thread feed direction. the needle threader is such a tiny hook it's hard to use. don't change direction of bobbin ..refer to the position dictated by the manual. and if the machine has been setting for a few years it needs to be cleaned & serviced. as a novice sewist i wouldn't recomend you doing the work yourself. it needs thorough cleaning, oiling (old oil can become gummy & make all moving parts move sluggishly/incorrectly), timing checked, tension checked and perhaps recalibrated. have the tech explain the tension system to you ..that area on mine gives me the most fits & my manual doesn't explain things well. the bobbin winding set up is so poorly explained/pictured in the manual, that i took a pic of mine after i finally got it set correctly ..i now use the image on my ipad as reference for bobbin winding set-up.
...and of course, there are a ton of how to sew tutes on youtube, how to work a sewing machine etcetcetc ...

..and at 28 i am thinking you are new to your most excellent career choice --nursing. congratulations on your choice of career ..as a retired nurse i've never missed anyhing in my life as i have my nursing ..my patients, the fun 'tools'
...even the long, grueling hours, double shifts etcetcetc ....nursing is such a rewarding career!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

If the needle hole is left to right not front to back you may be putting the thread in the needle the wrong direction. Check in your area for a sew group or guild you can visit. They will be happy to help you figure out your machine.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:37 PM

do you have the spool of thread coming off the right way????
Old 12-30-2016, 03:31 AM

I wish I was there to hold your hand......

I had trouble like that, but then I bought a Bernina 1020 that only stops with the needle in the totally up position. I agree with the others to go to a dealer and get some instruction.

Thanks for taking the doggies....I"m sure they are loyal friends.

Marcia aka Battle Axe
Old 12-30-2016, 05:21 AM

When you have thread problems, Start over! Rethread the top and bottom threads after checking the manual. If it loops on the bottom it is usually that the top thread is not correctly threaded.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:18 AM

Where are you located..you might be close to one of our members or a sewing guild who could help.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:02 AM

So sorry for your loss. It would probably please your mom that you are trying to learn how to sew. Get on the computer. You will find user manuals for your machine. I would suggest either purchasing one or downloading certain pages for reference. The Craftsy classes are great (make sure you sign up for emails and then get the notice of 50% of classes). You will have this class on your computer forever and can go back to it as often as you like. They also have tons of patterns free and for low cost. 2 things I tell my students about threading their machine - I use the analogy of kids going to school. They always go forward, they may make a bunch of side trips, but it is always in a forward push. So, your thread will always be going toward the needle even if it goes up and down and around. I have yet to find a machine that this doesn't work with. Then, if you have a 'bird's nest' with your thread above the fabric, there is a problem with your bobbin. If the 'bird's nest' is below the fabric, the problem is with your upper threading. That is very simplistic, but usually true. If the thread is unthreading, try pulling a much longer starter piece out and hold it. Don't jump right into a project. Take an afternoon, a piece of cloth (old sheets are great for this) and just play. Get comfortable with the machine, with your speed, your tension - play! You could be starting up a wonderful relationship if you keep it fun. It can be very easy to get frustrated in the beginning. Reminder, we all have horror stories about our first projects - it gets better and can be unbelievably rewarding. And, the only silly questions are those not asked. Ask for help whenever you want, we will always try to help you and encourage you. Somebody did it for us and we are happy to help you.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:20 AM

I agree with slbram17. I "inherited" my mother's barely used old Singer machine (she's still living -- my sympathies about your mother). At first I assumed that since she'd used it maybe 5-6x in 20+ years, that it would still be like-new. Turns out that's not the case. It needed a good tune up & a new timing belt and then ran like new.

The other thing is to be sure to pick up a pack of needles. I like size 80 Microtex for sewing, piecing quilt tops & quilting -- it is great for precision sewing & makes the smallest hole in the fabric. Others prefer a size 90 Topstitch needle as it has a larger eye, making it easier to thread. I usually thread a good 3" through the needle when starting.

Good luck with your project! Those sound like awfully lucky dogs!
Old 12-30-2016, 06:53 PM

Try to leave a 2 inch or more tail on your needle as when you start sewing the needle will pull thread up before it starts down. A fix for this is to start your needle on the down swing before you thread and before you stop sewing will eliminate pulling the thread out of the needle. Hope you can understand this. Or you can pm me and I will try to help. Good luck on your new adventure. And sorry for your loss.