Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best pressing station >

Best pressing station

Best pressing station

Old 12-29-2016, 05:31 AM

Default Best pressing station

When I saw the post about what is the best cutting table, I realize this would be the best place to ask what is the pressing station. I am building a new house with a dedicated sewing room and will be outfitting it with new furniture. I'd like it to be fairly wide--at least 48" and maybe 24" deep with a height of around 33-35". It might be nice to be on wheels as well. If anyone has pictures of ones they like, that would be great.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Make your own! Since you are building, order a couple extra base cabinets and have your finish carpenter join them and add wheels. Make sure at least one of the wheels is locking. Have him (or her ) also cut a piece of plywood for the top. There are lots of instructions on the internet for making an ironing surface on the plywood.

https://customstyle.wordpress.com/20...ironing-table/

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 12-29-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Make your own! Since you are building, order a couple extra base cabinets and have your finish carpenter join them and add wheels. Make sure at least one of the wheels is locking. Have him (or her ) also cut a piece of plywood for the top. There are lots of instructions on the internet for making an ironing surface on the plywood.
So I just spent at least 30 minutes viewing! very interesting blog
Old 12-29-2016, 12:58 PM

I had my husband cut me a 3' x 4' piece of plywood, covered it with batting and fabric and I have a portable pressing station that I can put on any flat surface. Love it!!!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:08 PM

I used a 2' by 4' piece of underlayment from Lowe's (about $6) and covered it with lining and scrap batting, then made a cover like a pillowcase so I could take it off and wash it. The case fabric was from the clearance shelf at Jo-Ann, and is home decorator weight. I can put it on any surface to iron, then slide it behind something if I don't need it, meaning I don't have valuable real estate locked into an ironing station. I think I have less than $15 in the whole thing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564591[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0053.jpg  
Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 PM

I would recommend you have one built to meet your needs. My husband built mine to match the cutting station he built me, it has the compartments and details that are what I need, and the height that's best for me because I am 5ft nothing
Old 12-29-2016, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
I used a 2' by 4' piece of underlayment from Lowe's (about $6) and covered it with lining and scrap batting, then made a cover like a pillowcase so I could take it off and wash it. The case fabric was from the clearance shelf at Jo-Ann, and is home decorator weight. I can put it on any surface to iron, then slide it behind something if I don't need it, meaning I don't have valuable real estate locked into an ironing station. I think I have less than $15 in the whole thing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564591[/ATTACH]
I think this is a great idea. I use my cutting table with towels on it for a pressing surface because I have no other room. Something flat that I could stash behind a door or piece of furniture would be awesome.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:56 AM

Yes, that is a good idea to have matching ones of the house cabinets. I also liked reading the blog that you attached. Good information for making your own. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2016, 05:17 AM

This is a great tutorial on building an ironing station - thank you!
Old 12-31-2016, 06:06 AM

My husband and I made an ironing board like the one in the link. However, I covered it with heavy duck cloth. It was made to fit over my ironing board. However, I found a dining room server at an auction and it now sits on top of that. The server is on wheels and has one long drawer which holds quilting rulers, four small draws for sissors, pins, etc. and space in the middle for whatever.