kitchen countertops

Old 12-30-2016, 07:35 AM

I have a black/brown/gray mixed countertop. Doesn't show the dust but O MY when you miss a couple of days wiping down the out of the way areas. The dust does accumulate. In my previous house had black appliances. When the sun was shinning in the window you could really see the dust on the appliances. Now I have stainless steel and water marks unless I wipe and dry. When will plain white appliances come back into style.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:44 AM

My counters are very dark, not black but a mixture of black, browns etc. Everyone thinks I have granite counters but
it is just ordinary, regular counters. I love them because they don't show a thing BUT if you drop something small on them, it's feel with your hands to find it. LOL No problems though, I love my countertops. What I do hate is my
stainless steel appliances. I don't mind cleaning them, everyday if I have to, but they never come out looking as nice as I would like. Any ideas people? Would appreciate any suggestions. I have tried just about everything.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Fastpedal View Post
When will plain white appliances come back into style.
They may not be in style but we just replaced our appliances and went with white. I learned my lesson with the avocado green fridge I bought years ago, then had to get a stove to match. When the fridge quit avocado was out. It's been white ever since and no regrets.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I have always dreamed of soapstone counters. $$$$$ My next choice would be cement in a soapstone color. They wear forever and age beautifully. I have never heard of any problems with them if done right.

Marble and granite are over rated, yes, beautiful in some settings. Counter tops should be useful. If you can't put anything on them what good are they for all the money you pay.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:11 AM

My DH built me a sewing counter once, many years ago, and put black formica on top. He tho't it would show dropped pins. OH, how I hated that blk top--it absorbed every tiny bit of light and just seemed to hurt my eyes. So glad when I ''moved on''. Now I have white silestone with flecks of color in my kitchen. Well, duh, everything shows. We are hard to please, aren't we?
Old 12-30-2016, 08:17 AM

I bought black with white/gray marbling and I love them with my white cabinets. Mine are Formica but DIL has black granite and loves hers too. Yes, water spots show but I have learned to wipe them up.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:39 AM

Ube, My black granite countertops are very useful. They are beautiful too. But what I like most about them is that I can roll cookies, pie crusts, pasta and dumplings on them and the surface is cool so the dough is easier to work with.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

All my kitchen countertops are butcher block. I can roll dough, knead bread, and make pasta anywhere on them. I don't cut on them though, I have big free standing butcher blocks raised up a couple of inches on top of them for that. I'm fussy about my kitchen. My microwave is red. LOL
Old 12-30-2016, 09:29 AM

My daughter had the shiny black granite countertops. They always seemed spotty and streaky, in my opinion. Everything showed up on them. I have formica - black with speckles to look like granite. They don't show anything.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:41 AM

Are you asking about Black SOLID?? That will look different than black with speckles, swirls, etc. To draw your eye....And no I would no wants a black solid. Erver see solid black porcelain bathrooms and toilets? Yuck.

Sandy