kitchen countertops

Old 12-30-2016, 10:16 AM

My counter tops in the kitchen are black granite so it has other colors in it. I used to complain because we had ant problems and no one could see crumbs on the counter but me - I seem to be the only person in the house that could see anything spilled on the counter tops. Then a couple of friends told me, that it was a mom thing, husband's and children are always blind to crumbs, or anything else on counters no matter what the color or material.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:44 AM

just installed black granite sink and counter
mine has specs of silver just love it
warranty for 15 yrs no polishing just wipe
Gale
Old 12-30-2016, 11:51 AM

I chose brown granite with streaks of darker brown and gray in it. When I put brown "stuff" with it, it shows as brown. And when I use gray "stuff" the grays really pop. When using greens or blues, depending on the tones, I can get lots of different looks.

For one bathroom the granite installer had a small piece of dark brown with swirls of black in it (sort of mottled). It is so rich looking and I can use any color with it.

I am very pleased with my choices.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:04 PM

I feel the same about my black kitchen appliances--dust shows in sunlight and strokes show, etc. [QUOTE=QuiltE;7728375]If you want to only hear good things ... just don't bother to read further ...........

A friend had them when she moved into a new (to her) home.
They showed every bit of grease and splatters of food, water, milk, etc.
Unless she literally polished them, they showed every stroke of the cloth when she wiped them down.
And even with polishing, it was hard to get a truly clean/clear end result.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:38 PM

picture of mine
still need backsplash
Gale
Attached Thumbnails counter.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 12:47 PM

One of my kids has black mottled marble. It doesn't show marks, but is very cold......
Old 12-30-2016, 01:23 PM

In my previous house, I put in a wonderful black granite counter tops and backsplash that had shots of dark red through it. I loved it and I miss it. The kitchen was bright and the cabinets light. They now have a permanent sealer that I would put on so it would not stain. When we moved, I went with quartz because it was cheaper and I went with white because the kitchen gets no direct light and the cabinets are dark -- the quartz is OK but I do wish I could have found a granite that worked and was not real pricey.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:30 PM

I have black formica countertops. They have a grey design in them somewhat like granite. The design hides the streaks etc when I wipe them and don't dry them. I am not a clean freak and they hide a multitude of sins.
I have a friend who remodeled her bathroom and had a black toilet ,sink and bathtub. It was beautiful, she had its of silver to go with it. Her family was forbidden to use it, only guests because it showed every water spot etc. It was very expensive but she talked her husband in to redoing it after 2 years.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:55 PM

Thanks everyone for your answers. Sounds like speckled or marbled is the way to go.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

wow, i'm glad i have have white appliances and cabinets. my counter tops in the kitchen are a beige quartz. i hate the dark look, and everyone wants granite. I'm glad I'm not they type of person that has to jump on the bandwagon.My counters have flecks in them and always look clean. I have black in the bathroom. Uba tuba is the color. the whole bathroom is in white, with river rock on the floor of the full shower, with marble and tile walls. so pretty. the countertop is a real pain. Never again.