Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stand up sewing >

Stand up sewing

Stand up sewing

Old 01-13-2017, 08:02 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Stand up sewing

I have been seeing ads on TV about the thing that allows you to stand up while working at your computer. Wonder if there is anything like that for sewing machines. You can sit or stand with just a quick adjustment so you can change your position easily and it seems like that would be a great idea for long hours of sewing.
Anyone know anything about such a thing for us quilters?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:19 PM

some people make tables high enough to stand while sewing. The use counters when building them
Old 01-13-2017, 09:05 PM

I have an adjustable-height table from Ikea. I got it so I could raise it for cutting, but sometimes I sew standing. It took a bit to get used to operating the foot pedal while standing, (I end up sort of standing on one foot), but I like having the option of changing positions easily.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:39 PM

I'm like Jennifer--I sometimes set one of my machines on my taller cutting table to sew standing up--with a good fatigue mat under me, it can be pretty comfortable. I wonder how study those desks tops are that raise up for standing? They may work for a machine if it kept there from being too much vibration.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:57 PM

I had a work station that raised high enough to stand and work on my computer. (It was during the days when the computers had the huge monitors.) It would be very expensive to install one in your home but they do make them. I cannot remember the name of them. It was so nice when we had them installed. I was one of the few people that actually raised it that high, but after sitting for hours on the phone and doing data entry onto a computer I needed to stand for a while. No they are saying that people will be more productive if they stand. (That is until people start having other physical injuries from prolonged standing. I believe people need to be able to make adjustments throughout the day.)
Old 01-14-2017, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

I got out my portable 2662 the other day after cutting some fabric and put it on top of my cutting table. Went right to piecing. Worked great. I sit a lot so this was a great alternative.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:31 AM

I also like to stand but usually not for prolonged periods. Normally my sewing is broken up with pressing or hunt-and-search mission or some other distraction so there's a lot of both sitting and standing during a sewing session. Many of the newer machines now have the start/stop button which is helpful for standing ..prevents the need to stand on one leg with opposite foot up. That is the main obstacle to sewing while standing. It can become uncomfortable after just a short time but w/ the button, it is very much easier to do.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:48 AM

I would like the idea of being able to stand part of the time-I cannot at present. However, I am careful to move around a lot. My sewing room is in the basement and we have a bathroom down here. However, I always go up and down the stairs when I need the facilities. My coffee pot is upstairs in the kitchen-so, more trips up and down. When my husband built my sewing center I wanted a pressing station that I could pull out. I thought it was a great idea! However, I never use it. I get up and go over to the ironing board to press. The time savings are not worth the problems of sitting too long at a time. I probably go up and down the stairs 30 or so times a day to say nothing of other stand and walk activities. So, fellow quilters, keep moving.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:54 AM

My sewing machine lives on a higher counter in the laundry room. I was moving it to a table when needed. But, recently, just use it standing where it is. I like it, its comfortable and there is no up and down to grab things. My back likes that.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:24 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Quilterpurpledog, at Weight Watchers we call your movement planned inefficiency or planned wasted steps. I purposefully keep my ironing board in another room so I have to move,as well. I just thought the idea of a quick adjustment to stand for a while would be neat....never thought of the vibrations. Maybe someone can invent such a thing and go on Shark Tank for funding!!!!