Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did you lean to machine quilt using a sewing machine? >

How did you lean to machine quilt using a sewing machine?

How did you lean to machine quilt using a sewing machine?

Old 01-23-2017, 02:10 AM

Default How did you lean to machine quilt using a sewing machine?

It's time I became less hesitant about this so I would like to hear how you learned how to machine quilt. I'm not attempting anything fancy yet, straight line and a few curves. I've done pretty well on small size projects but will be attempting my first machine quilted twin size and I don't want to mess it up too terribly, lol. My biggest fear is the back bunching up and I won't notice until it's too late.

How did you learn? Book? Video? Trial and Error? Needle down and go? I do have the walking foot and free motion foot.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:28 AM

I am mostly self-taught. For years I struggled with little pleats at the back and was amazed at the difference when I finally splurged for a walking foot. It is worth every penny! Free motion quilting is my favorite way to quilt. It takes some practice and I always do a sample to test the tension. I did take a class once in FMQ and it helped me get started. I did a lot of practicing before I was willing to do it on a "real" quilt. Matching threads to the fabrics helps make the mistakes less noticeable. I don't mind using contrasting thread now. Having a level work surface works best with larger quilts. I love my Machingers gloves. I used to use the Supreme Slider, but stopped once I quilted it to the back of a quilt. LOL
Old 01-23-2017, 03:22 AM
Banned

I've never enjoyed it. Hand quilting is much more relaxing.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
It's time I became less hesitant about this so I would like to hear how you learned how to machine quilt. I'm not attempting anything fancy yet, straight line and a few curves. I've done pretty well on small size projects but will be attempting my first machine quilted twin size and I don't want to mess it up too terribly, lol. My biggest fear is the back bunching up and I won't notice until it's too late.

How did you learn? Book? Video? Trial and Error? Needle down and go? I do have the walking foot and free motion foot.
For me it was a book & trial & error.

I would highly suggest if you have NOT sandwiched your quilt yet.....Heavily starch your backing first. It will really help to prevent pleats. I prefer to pin my quilts. Others use spray or glue. I usually start in the center & work outward. I also use "Machingers Quilting Gloves". They are a bit pricey tho. You could use gardners gloves that have the little rubber dots on them too. They do make it easier to hold your quilt while sewing.

Good luck & just have fun quilting .
Old 01-23-2017, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

i used to watch the many quilting shows that used to be on... just tried to do what i viewed.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

I took a couple of classes but found basting well helped to not get pleats on the back. I was most successful with 505 basting spray, Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt and now Elmer's washable glue basting. Some like thread basting and pin basting. If your quilt sandwich is well basted, it makes quitting easier. Since the advent of machine quilting with a ruler foot, I have taken the Quilting With Rulers class with Amy from freemotionquiltingadventures.blogspot.com/
Old 01-23-2017, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I did take a hands-on class, which was very helpful. The instructor watched me and made just a couple of suggestions. Made a big difference. The other thing is, you mentioned that you've been practicing. What I found was there was one all over design (stippling) that seemed to come very naturally to me. I concentrated on that one. If you find one that seems easier, use that one. Other than the class which got me started, the rest was trial and error.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:58 AM

I watched Patsy Thompson FMQ videos on YouTube practiced along with her, when I wasn't on my machine I practiced by using my grandson's Etch a Sketch, using paper just didn't work for me! I still practice on the Etch a Sketch especially if it is a design I haven't done before or in a while. There are lots of designs available that you can practice until you get proficient but stippling and meandering are your friends when you start off. You can do it, good luck!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:16 AM

Self taught after watching a lot of quilting shows. The hardest part is just starting. I was afraid because I didn't want to ruin something. But that's silly because it's just fabric and I always had plenty more of that. I started finally by making practice sandwiches and then practicing.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:24 AM

Straight stitched. Walking foot moot as Pfaff has IDT. Drew lines with either blue or purple marker and chalk pen if dark material. Learned from bits in the 1475 Pfaff instruction book. Mostly self taught. I can't seem to sit through a quilting show. If no one covers what I want to know, I'm gone.