Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am looking for a new iron >

I am looking for a new iron

I am looking for a new iron

Old 02-06-2017, 05:33 AM

I bought a Reliable Velosity Iron. Quite expensive, but - - at my last quilt retreat there were several ironing boards set up with irons at the ready. By day three my iron had a line of users when the others were available. It's a heavy iron, but it steams at low settings and gets quite hot. Drawbacks include weight and short shutoff time. Otherwise it's a gem. It has a beep when it reaches temperature setting, when it shuts off, and when starting up again. It holds LOTS of water and emits a signal when it's out. I love it. Didn't think I'd ever spend over a $100 on an iron, but this one is close to $200. Look for good sales!
Old 02-06-2017, 05:44 AM

J Moore - "starting peeing like a puppy" Haha!! You made me smile with your description!! Good comment!!
Old 02-06-2017, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
Still using my 15 year old Black & Decker. Don't need an expensive one when this one does the job well. I have more money for fabric.
After trying the expensive irons that didn't last very long, I am back to using my Black and Decker. Works just fine.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:52 AM

I have a Rowenta and it's been pretty good. Very rarely has it leaked and that is annoying. Also seem to find most irons leak sooner or later. Had a GE for years but it bit the dust. Always thought the Oliso was good cause you don't have to lift it up, however, I am getting mixed messages on the Board.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:09 AM

Purchased a Hamilton Beach Durathon from Walmart about 5 or 6 years ago for around $20. Still works great, no issues with leaking. Love the auto shut off.
Good luck on finding one that suits you.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:38 AM

I bought a shark. The best one I could find. I think I paid around $40 for it. Love it!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:53 AM

A couple years ago I bought 2 Oliso irons, one for a friend. Within 6 months her iron stopped lifting. Mine is still fine but it does take longer to heat up and I find it does not get as hot as the basic Black and Decker that we have in our church sewing room. The B&D is heavier than most irons but it is holding up well.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:30 AM

I just bought a new Rowenta because my 2 yr old Rowenta leaked just like everyone elses! But this time I read the directions ... which I seldom do. It does say to drain the water after each use. How many of us do that??? And secondly it says to use tap water and not distilled. I'm going to use filtered water. Hopefully by following directions it will save the life of my iron.

I love my Rowenta iron (past and present). Just wish they made 'em like they used to"!!!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:09 AM

I have a big box Shark iron, works great, gets nice and hot, I quit putting water in irons a long time ago cause they seem to die quicker that way. I have a spray bottle with a mix of vodka and distilled water.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:24 PM

I have had the cordless Panasonic for several years and really love it.