Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Major Newbie Mistake - Is it Too Late To Have it LongArm Quilted?? Yikes!! >

Major Newbie Mistake - Is it Too Late To Have it LongArm Quilted?? Yikes!!

Major Newbie Mistake - Is it Too Late To Have it LongArm Quilted?? Yikes!!

Old 02-20-2017, 06:26 AM

Wonderful artwork!!!
Old 02-20-2017, 06:34 AM

Newbie? A definitely talented newbie with a great eye. Your piece is gorgeous and draws the viewer in immediately. Love it.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 AM

Beautiful quilt. I would make a practice sandwhich and practice, practice practice! Some advice: I would use a top stitch needle, have plenty of tables around your sewing table to make sure that the quilt is completely level with the sewing machine so there is no pull. You may want to make your practice piece the same size as your quilt. You will better duplicate doing the real thing that way.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 AM

Love what you have done, and thank you for the name of the designer. I checked and Aisha Lamumuba has other neat designs as well. Looking forward to seeing it once you've got the quilting in place.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 AM

I can't see why you think "It's too late" for anything. If you want to learn to quilt this yourself, you can still do it. If you want someone else to quilt it by hand or long arm, that can still be done too.

You might be surprised to find that it is cheaper to have it hand quilted, since the longarm would not be pretty done as an overall pattern. The quilter would definitely need to follow your layout. Before I understood that concept, I contracted with a longarm quilter to finish one for me, only to get hit with a fantastic bill at the end.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

Wow! She is gorgeous. Yes, add the borders but not yet the sleeve. Have you considered some hand quilting? Yes, you definitely need someone to work from the front of a longarm to keep the applique in mind when quilting.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 02-20-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:14 AM

Okay let me go and at the very least look at what hand quilting involves. Whew! I get the gitters thinking about it. LOL. I will also check around my area for hand quilters to get an idea of cost. I want to make sure this piece is done right.

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
A newbie to quilting, eh? That piece sure doesn't indicate that! It's gorgeous. Personally, I wouldn't long-arm that. As unique as this is, it cries for the piecing to stand alone without competition from the quilting. I think I would do a simple outline of the design, perhaps echo a little if you think it needs it for stability. If you do not want to do this yourself, I'd consider having someone hand quilt this rather than machine quilting. I think on another comment, you mention not liking to do the binding, etc by hand. Neither do I but I love to do hand quilting. Doesn't "compute", does it? But the hand quilting is a craft on its own and the binding is a chore, I guess. Congratulations on this stunning creation!
Old 02-20-2017, 11:48 AM

Thank you ladies for your comments on this and being honest. I can be obsessive when I make things. I do knitting, crocheting, painting and basic sewing and I am finding that this craft for my mindset is no different. I will pull it out or apart and start over if I don't think it works or I will sit and watch it for a few days when I need to commit to something! That hair and her headpiece design took me well over a week to figure out then applique it on. If nothing else this is teaching me nothing is perfect and even the mistakes can be part of of the final design.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

your workis stunning. i love her dress
I do all hand quilting. When they get too big, i do it in sections
then attach then do the next section. i would do your by hand.
Why not try it, it's not too big to have it LA.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 PM

want to add that if I were long arm quilting this, I'd suggest using a mono-poly (I like Superior's or YLI) on the dress--following some of the piecing lines just enough to anchor the figure to the backing without distracting from the pieced dress. Then I'd use a blending yellow Superior BottomLine to do a fairly tight but not very intricate design in the yellow background--maybe even just wavy lines about 1/8-1/4 in apart. I'd first closely outline the figure. I would not quilt on the hair or the figure at all--too distracting. Also, I'd probably use a poly (low loft--for some reason I find it easier to use doubled low loft than a high loft--fewer tucks & puckers) as it's a wall hanging and likely won't be washed. Plus the poly does not hold creases as much as cotton or cotton blend---and I'd be thinking you would be entering this into some shows so you don't want creases. if it was larger and maybe plan was for a bed quilt, then I'd double bat 80/20 with washable wool on top to really make the lady "pop" Please do show us again once it's quilted!

also you don't show where you live, but generally speaking prices for long arm quilting tend to run lower in the midwest than either coast. I do know some people mail quilts to LA but frankly, though I long arm and have family members mail quilts to me, it seems as if there are enough LA that you'd find someone near so you could truly see their work. In the KC area, edge-to-edge or pantos (neither which I'd guess you'd want!)run about 1-2cents/sq. in; custom goes from there upwards depending on the number of thread changes, amount of marking needed, density of quilting, intricacy of the design, etc. the design I described to you would probably be somewhere from 3-4cents/sq. in.