Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
You never know what you'll find... >

You never know what you'll find...

You never know what you'll find...

Old 03-30-2017, 03:49 PM

Default You never know what you'll find...

Have you found odd stuff in your sewing machines? I've purchased several machines and ended up with a lot of oddball attachments that don't match anything. Today, I was photographing some attachments to ask what they match. I got the ones in the photos with a 600.

I also have a 201-2 that was full of stuff. It looks like it has two sets of everything. I decided to look up the numbers rather than ask what they were. It appears that the person who owned the 201-2 also had a featherweight and kept the attachments in the sewing machine cabinet. I have a hemstitcher for a featherweight. No featherweight, but I have the hemstitcher. I'll have to dig to see if I can find the screws that go to it, though. I found some featherweight bobbins, too.

What do you think these Griest attachments fit? It appears that I have 2 sets of them, too.

Generally speaking, if it looks like a 15 bobbin, is it usually a 15 bobbin? I compared the 15 looking bobbin to my vintage 15 bobbins and they are a tiny bit off. Is that just the way it is, or is there another one that is similar?

bkay
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1094.jpg   dsc_1098.jpg  
Old 03-30-2017, 07:05 PM

Well that is quite the lot of attachments! Good for you. Sadly I can't give you any info..only a suggestion.

Knowing (from reading) that you are into vintage machines, if one of your goals is to obtain a FW - I'd hang on to what you have. Particularly since it seems you have been bitten by the vintage collecting bug. I'm sure you'll be able to use all of these various attachments.

Someone else with far more knowledge will be along shortly with specific info re the bobbin.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:27 AM

It is hard to tell which machine the top clamp feet fit. As I referred you to in your thread
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...k-t286222.html you should take a look at http://www.treadleon.net/library/topclampingfeet.pdf

Macybaby has explained it well in several threads, one of which is http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t285073.html about the variety of top clamp feet.

I notice there is a double-sided seam guide in the lower left of the attachment picture. I saw that recently, and thought how neat. I think it was for being able to sew with one of the attachments that wouldn't allow the longer side.

The edgestitcher is one that slides over to do braiding with.
I don't have a clue as to the piece on the paper in the lower right. I don't think it has anything to do with a ruffler, though.

As far as the 15 bobbin, I have several like that. I bought an Alco new in 1972 and the 15 class bobbin is what it used. Since I have so many with thread on them, I have used them on my 15s or any other machine that uses 15 class bobbins. I haven't had to wind a bobbin on any of my 15s, but this thread - http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t275501.html may indicate that the multi-holed bobbins might not work on the bobbin winder of some of the vintage 15s.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:29 AM
Kas

The Featherweight and 301 use a 15 looking bobbin, but it is shorter. That might be what that is. It's hard to tell from the angle. I'm pretty sure the 201 attachments also fit a Featherweight since they are both low shank Singers.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:56 AM

Because of the shape of the shirr plate (square looking thing in the lower middle of picture) I'd guess these will fit a White Rotary machine.

however you have more than one set there, one that would have come in a cardboard box, and the older set in the metal box. So who knows if sets for two different machines got mixed up. If you compare them, line up the gap for where it attaches to the machine, and the needle hole and see if they line up perfectly.

There are two widths of gaps, and they are visually different, so that one is easy. Then for those with a wider gap (like White) you need to see how the needle hole lines up. White and National are both centered in the gap, but White has a longer distance than National. Some of the others are slightly offset (some left, some right) and some are really offset (like Davis).

off the top of my head, I've got top clamp sets to fit - and these are not interchangeable.
Davis
Domestic (pre White)
White
National
New Home
Free
New Royal
Standard

I think I also have top clamp sets for
Demorest
New Florence (not related to old Florence)
Household

Then I've got the older bar clamp type, those are neat too!

There are also a few "generic" sets that have an open toe design, so they can be used on a few different machines.

And then there are rotary and VS versions, but for most, it's just the underbraider and shirr plate that are different.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:11 AM

Here is a White Rotary set that came in a metal box. These sometimes came in a box marked "rotary" if that is what they fit. Though those for White often say "White" on the box. You'll see all sorts . . .

This is a later set, also for the White rotary machines. This came with a fancy plastic case, but it's the same as what came in the cardboard box.

This is a White VS set - all the feet will fit either VS or Rotary. Differences in feet, ruffler and tucker between this and the Rotary set are due to age, not the machine they fit.

And a much earlier set to fit a White VS machine

Old 03-31-2017, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

My Singer 66 treadle uses back clamping feet. Some of yours may fit a 66.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:14 AM

Back clamp and top clamp are totally different.

These are back clamp, as what the Singer 66 takes

Old 04-01-2017, 04:51 AM

Thanks, Cathy.

It's not likely that I will ever use the attachments, as a old treadle is not in my plans (unless it's a newer 15 or a 202). Also, given the complexity of the subject, I probably won't even figure out which machine these fit.

Any suggestions on what to do with them?

bkay
Old 04-01-2017, 08:36 AM

I love,love sewing with my 1917 White Rotary treadle. My machine came with a full set of attachments, like the ones in the box.