Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help!!!  thread is shredding >

Need Help!!! thread is shredding

Need Help!!! thread is shredding

Old 04-02-2017, 12:35 PM

Default Need Help!!! thread is shredding

I have a Brother Nouvelle1500S that I have quilted many items on.Suddenly the thread is shredding and breaks.I have tried everything to no avail.Changed needles numerous times,adjusted tension,tried different thread,cleaned thouroughly ,,doing nothing different than I always did and never had a problem. It quilts about 10 inches and breaks.No burrs on anything...Please can someone help!! I lost my hubby recently and decided quilting again would be theraputic,now my machine won't work. There is no where near here to repair them,and I can't afford sending it to the factory,especially when it seems like a small problem.It straight sews beautifully.(Yes,I had my dogs lowered).Thank you in advance!
Old 04-02-2017, 01:05 PM

Is the thread different than when you quilted before? Have you change it? That has happened to me before on the longarm machine. Finished a quilt, no problem. Changed the thread color to match the other quilt and it began..shredding and breaking, cleaned out the bobbin area, changed the needle, rethreaded the machine...finally changed the thread, same color just another spool and everything just fine... Who knows why
Old 04-02-2017, 02:10 PM

My machine likes to have the thread in a horizontal position rather than vertical for free motion quilting. Doesn't seem to matter for straight stitching. Might be something to try. Hope you get it figured out soon. Glad to hear you are back to quilting. So sorry about your loss of your husband.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:26 PM

Have you tried quilting on another test sandwich? I recently had the worst time with shredding and breaking on a certain material. I still don't know why it was such a problem, but I won't use that material as backing again.

I hope you find the answer soon. I know how frustrating this can be. I'm so sorry for your loss. It is great that you turned to quilting to help get you through the grieving process and to this board for assistance.

I'm sending positive energy to your machine to knock off the hassling.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:51 PM

I'm wondering if the thread is the problem. Or maybe there is something caught in the tension disks that the thread is catching on.
Please accept my condolences on the loss of your husband.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:58 PM

What about oiling? That machine has to be oiled on a reg. basis. It may be how many of the holes your using also. Rethread differently. I'm sorry for your loss of your husband.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

You said you changed the needle. Did you change it to one of the same size? I would try a larger needle. A jeans or topstitch needle has a larger hole and can keep the thread from shredding.
Also, next time this happens, stop and examine everything before you remove the fabric and unthread. Follow the thread path to see if it is hanging up on something or has jumped the takeup lever.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

I suspect while FMQing your sandwich, you are pulling the needle far enough over that it is clipping the side of the needle plate. Make sure the sandwich is well supported and moving freely.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:47 PM

I have tried numerous threads,needles etc,nothing works,,,I have quilted 100s of items on it ,it ia a quilting macine,and it was fine with what ever needle or thread I used.Im stumped.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:05 PM

Have you tried following your thread back after it shreds and breaks to see where it is getting hung up? Maybe if you go very, very slowly, you will be able to see where the problem is. If you haven't tried sewing with a sandwich of different fabric, I would try that. Is it possible that there is a hidden piece of lint or thread in the bobbin case or the tension disks? So sorry about your DH. Best of everything as you work through your loss.