Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mug Rugs for Bazaar >

Mug Rugs for Bazaar

Mug Rugs for Bazaar

Old 04-30-2017, 01:31 PM

Default Mug Rugs for Bazaar

In early December I am helping an older friend with her table for our Christmas bazaar. I have done so for several years now. She is pretty dependent on the money she makes from her baked goods and jams and jellies. When we open at 9 a.m. she has folks lined up for her goodies. She is not as able to do the bazaar now and has asked me to add quilted items to her double space and she will cut back to only her best sellers. She does not want to give up her prime spot in the hall or to cut back the size of her area yet.

This is my question which is totally based on the fact that I want to complement her products and showcase her. I thought about making Christmas mug rugs with a simple mug containing a pack of cocoa and candy cane. I will lay out several opened packs and close up the others in a clear bag of some type. I would say each unit will cost about $5-$6 max to make. What kind of a price would you put on them? This is a smaller town and quilted items do not bring big city prices. I do not want to lose money and do not want to cut into her sales. I thought this would complement her products. Any thoughts or ideas on my thoughts?
Old 04-30-2017, 01:50 PM

Have you seen other mug rugs sold at the bazaar at Christmas? How were they priced, and did you notice if they were selling?

I was asked by a local shopkeeper if I'd do mug rugs for Christmas sales (starting in late October) and I posed this same question here on the Board. The consensus was that it's a lot of work and barely profitable (since, in this case, the shop is consignment, and my share would be 50%. Depending on fabric choice, it could even be a loss for me, so I opted not to.

That said, I was also encouraged to make non-seasonal mugs if I were to make a bunch of things. And make both individual mug rugs and coordinated (not matching) sets. You might use the cocoa and candy cane in a few of the sets (mark those up a buck) to show a customer how to present the gift/jazz up the display. But I wouldn't add the cocoa and candy cane to every one of them because some folks would think they're paying for something they don't want (ie maybe they'd want coffee or tea).

You might consider making things at different price points, just in case--coasters, a few runners, a couple of wall hangings--to test the waters. If they don't sell, you could give them as gifts, so I'd sew with that in mind .
Old 04-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

how about some pretty ornaments. Not just for Christmas, but all year thru. Some people hang ornaments in the car, or in their sewing room. good luck
Old 05-01-2017, 01:45 AM

Our Quilting Ministry at church participates in a bazaar in the beginning of December. Mug rugs are a lot of work and only sell for $8-10. We make about 25 Christmas table runners and they always sell out. We charge $25. More work but they sell and can vary in difficulty. We do have one of the members who does the quilting on her LA.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:01 AM

At the last 2 Christmas church bazaars l sewed Christmas themed table center mats in star shape...they fit round, rectangle, or square. Those sold well. I also made twister wreath wall hangings that sold.Non Christmas items like mug rugs and a couple of " pet bowl" mug rugs( used doggie themed fabric) also went well.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:17 AM

A year or so ago I bought a mug rug with mug for $10 at a small town festival. I felt it was well worth the price. The items were packaged in a cellophane bag tied with a ribbon. All set to go for gift giving. I don't think there are many things that people can buy for less than $10 that are ready to be given as a gift.

What about cloth lunch bags and sandwich wrappers? Maybe also some bowl holders.

I see someone mentioned pet bowl rugs. Even though this is not related to baked goods, you may want to think about pet neckerchiefs. There is a woman near me who makes ones that slip over the dog's collar. I bet there are patterns online for such.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:46 AM

How about hot pads, tea towels with decorative stitches or applique.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 PM

It's great that you are helping out your friend and you've got lots of great suggestions so far! Since she's selling baked goods, go with your instinct and make things that compliment them, so, mug rugs, table toppers hot pads, towels, coasters, microwave bowls, and placemats would all be good. Keep in mind you can always make "reversible" i.e. Christmas on one side floral on the other. If you knit as well make some of the knitted dishcloths, those are always big sellers! Good luck to you!
Old 05-02-2017, 02:26 AM

I like your idea of a bag with mug rug, mug, and goodies. Mug rugs are pretty easy and cheap to make with scraps (I made 14 in an afternoon last year for our library staff - took me an afternoon). But the mugs will be expensive, no?

What about sets of coasters made of 5 charm squares and a piece of batting? Tie them together with a nice ribbon or piece of scrap fabric.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:20 AM

Mug rugs can be bought cheap in thrift stores