Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
By the pound?? >

By the pound??

By the pound??

Old 06-15-2017, 07:34 PM

I know that seems like a reasonable price but I recently saw a shop advertising for $6/lb Cdn and yes I also saw approx 3 1/2 - 4 yards = 1 pound. I suppose it depends on the area and how willing people are to purchase misc. sized pieces of fabric. Hope it works out well for you!
Old 06-16-2017, 04:20 AM

I agree you would make more on Ebay with coordinated lots. It would take more work but you would not have the issue of crowd control etc!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:14 AM

I don't think you want to go the ebay route. It gets really complicated. You have to photograph, post, package, ship, open a "vendor" paypal account, etc. You're talking weeks of work to get all that done.

I'd start at maybe $10.00 per pound and go to half price at a certain time or when the line to pay disappears. If you do it all in one day, either don't tell anyone you're going to 1/2 price before you do it (just walk in and tape a 1/2 price sign on the wall), or close for lunch and go to 1/2 price after lunch. Otherwise, people will mill around, hold their fabric and wait for 1/2 price time. (It will get crowded.) Or, if you have enough for 2 days, do full price the first day and 1/2 price the second day.

If, toward the end of the sale period, you still have lots of stuff left over, go to $5.00 per bag (you provide the bag).

bkay
Old 06-16-2017, 09:42 AM

I think whether or not you do eBay depends on the quality of the fabric and whether you will have any help. It does take time to photograph, measure, package and mail, but you usually get substantially more than the garage sale prices that you'll get at a sale. If you have coordinated groups of fabrics or collections of name brand fabrics, you'll probably do well. If, however, you just have a lot of random Joann's and Walmart fabrics, you'll most likely be better off to just have a sale.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:54 AM

I would just drive by a $12.00 pound sale
I've been to a lot of these and never seen the price over $4.00 a pound.
Automobiles and fabric take a big drop in value the minute they leave the showroom
Don't kid yourself about the perceived value, just use up what you have.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:32 PM

An acquaintance sold her stash for $7/lb before moving. I suggest that you have a cheat sheet with the price of weight increments (1.5 lbs = $, etc.) It will make it easier for the weigher and the cashier.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by quilt9226 View Post
An acquaintance sold her stash for $7/lb before moving. I suggest that you have a cheat sheet with the price of weight increments (1.5 lbs = $, etc.) It will make it easier for the weigher and the cashier.
I agree with this. I've been to several sales of quilt fabric by the pound. I usually carry all the pieces around with me and when it's weighed, add in or subtract as needed depending upon how much money I have to spend. Having some idea of what to expect for size/price would be helpful for everyone.

I seem to recall the fabric sold for about $5 a pound. Yes, it was a steal for LQS fabric, but it was usually a mix of that and Joann's fabrics, and some that was very old, so there's that. It was always a great treasure hunt, though!
Old 06-17-2017, 06:59 AM

I thought I'd add my 2 cents here. 1 1/2 yrs ago I was asked to help the daughter of a quilter to help sell her mother's stash. Because a lot of it was already in gallon size bags or project bags it was easier to sell. She decided on a 3 day open house and we let the 3 neighboring quilt guilds know when and where. We set out large bins and labeled them from $1 to $15. Small sandwich baggies stuffed full were $1; quart size $5. Groups of fat quarters stuffed gallon size bags for $15. There were 2 gallon project baggies with everything needed to complete it for $20-35 and some that even had the backing for $40. Finished quilts were sold from $35 to $100 based on the design and complexity. Rulers, patterns and books priced from 25 Cents to $2. So many other quilt related items. What didn't sell for full asking price on day 1 was reduced and anything left over was donated to the local guilds for their charity quilts. Everyone was happy. The daughter was able to clean out her mother's house knowing her mother's quilt stuff was appreciated, the buyers all got bargains and the guilds got donations. Good luck with your friend's stash. Sometimes it's not so much about the money as it is about the process of letting go. For me personally, I've let my
husband know which of my quilting friends are willing to take over this process and they are to get first dibs with the stipulation that each much make one nice quilt for a charity of their choice...vets, cancer survivors, humane society, etc. I do agree that $12 a pound is too much and I would pass that by.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:44 AM

I've been to estate sales in Florida and Michigan and the going rate has been $2/yard which would make a pound more in the $6 range. I'm talking about a variety of quality of fabric but I felt it was up to me to determine that if it was a quality I felt was worth purchasing.
I have seen it sold by the pound as well. I would suggest you round down to the nearest half pound when figuring final price. For example if something weighed up at 1# 3oz it would go for 1#. Something that weighed in a 1# 10 oz would go for 1.5# It makes things easier for the seller and also leaves the buyer feeling they got extra in the deal.
I have bought "grab bags" of quilting supplies that included a variety of things. Much easier for the seller to price the bag than individual spools of thread, little rulers and such. Larger ticket items such as large cutting mats, expensive rulers and such could be individually priced.
I like the idea if you know of other friends who are quilters or guilds in the area let them know of the sale before you advertise to the general public. One of my friends went into assisted living and sold her quilting things and let her friends know of the sale first. I treasure the things I bought from that sale as some of them have her name on them and she has now passed away. Before she died I made some things from some of her fabric and was able to take and show her. She got so much delight from that.
Be careful about pricing things too high even though initially they were pricey.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:10 AM

I think pricing by the pound is the way to go. But I had the thought of, Do you want to make a profit or do you want to get rid of it? If the goal is to earn money, you can try it at your price and see what works. If the goal is to get rid of it in one time, price it low so it will go.