Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clover Chaco Liner >

Clover Chaco Liner

Clover Chaco Liner

Old 06-16-2017, 01:32 PM

Unhappy Clover Chaco Liner

Help! I used the yellow Clover Chalk powder and roller to mark quilting lines on my quilt. After quilting, I couldn't brush the chalk out, so I washed the quilt in cold water. Still the chalk lines persisted, so I sprayed all quilting lines with Oxy Clean Laundry Stain Remover and again washed in cold water. The yellow lines were still there. I contacted Clover-USA. They recommended spraying the quilt with a mixture of water and white vinegar (5 parts water to 2 parts vinegar) and washing again. I did this - twice! Still the yellow lines persisted. I contacted Clover-USA again. This time they recommended Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I spent 45 minutes rubbing the eraser over the quilt lines, then washed the quilt for the 5th time. Still the blasted chalk lines won't go away. They are very visible on the white fabric, but also visible on the blue and orange as well.

Does anyone have any ideas that can help me get the yellow chalk lines out? I'm at my wits end, as I have close to a $100.00 in materials and over 30 hours of work in this quilt that will all go to waste if I can't remove these yellow lines. Begging for help! Thank you.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-16-2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all CAPS
Old 06-16-2017, 01:52 PM

I am so sorry! I have heard never to use the yellow chalk as it doesn't come out, but now you have confirmed the rumor. I wish I could offer some method you haven't tried, but am at a loss.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:12 PM

I used a toothbrush and a little Dawn dish washing liquid in a small amount of water to scrub pencil marking lines from a quilt I made for a DGD. I had tried a few other things and this finally worked. Very tedious but it did work. I would use warm water with the Dawn if you try this. I know this isn't the same as your yellow chalk but just wanted to offer another option for you. I feel bad for you and hope you find a remedy that works for you.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

I hope you are successful in this. That is a lot of work to have ruined.

I'm with suern3. I had some blue chalk that did not want to come out. I used cold water and it eventually faded a bit. I was not happy. I did not use it on the whole quilt just a couple of spots where white chalk would not show because the fabric was white. After that I threw all the colored chalk away.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Banned

I love my Crayola Ultra-clean washable markers. They have not yet failed to wash out.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Yellow is a tough one and is probably pretty much set in now. I had luck laundering my quilt - yellow on white blocks but I washed it in warm water not cold- my experience has been cold sets colors. I don't know if there is anything else to do now after multiple cold washes. Maybe "shout" and a warm wash.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:16 PM

I use the yellow chalk all the time... and hope I don't jinx myself...but have never had a problem with it just washing out in the regular wash I do once my quilt is finished. A cold wash and cold rinse.... then into the dryer and out semi dry to lay flat on the carpet to completely dry. I really hope you can get this to work for you. Did you pre wash your fabrics before using them?
Old 06-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

why do they sell these colors if it won't come out??? Grrrrr. test first of course but once i had tested but marked harder on the quilt itself. yep, wouldn't come out. Finally got it though with Oxy clean,
there was a product mentioned on this forum i think called Restore.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I only use Crayola washable markers to number blocks and rows. It has always washed out. I wash everything in cold water, using Cold Water Tide.

I only do FMQ quilting.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:44 PM

I used a blue marking pen once before and was told to spray it with Club Soda and the blue marking came right out. I had not tried anything else so the Club Soda was used on fabric before it had been washed.