How do you get around?

Old 07-13-2017, 05:03 AM

We live slightly out in the "country" have to drive everywhere. We even have to transport our bicycles to town to find a place to ride them! I love where we live, but It must be nice to live where there is ample public transportation to go everywhere without driving. It would be nice to hop on the train and end up downtown (Detroit) and miss the traffic. Loved public transportation in England. Bring back trains!!!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

We live outside the city limits, too far to walk or ride a bike to shop. Everyone here has trucks, SUVs, four wheelers, and tractors to get to town. I've never been without a vehicle in the yard to drive. Growing up rural there was always something to get on and ride to the store or to a friends house. No way I'd be at home without a vehicle to use whenever I wanted.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:47 PM

Loved reading this thread! Love driving my car! I love walking, too, but there aren't many places I can walk. I could go visit the neighbors, maybe. Within 30 miles of my house there are two "large cities" (10 to 16 thousand), and at least 26 smaller cities and towns with 4 thousand to 20 people in them. These are just the ones that have names on the road as you approach them. Some don't have their own zip code. These are scattered all around among all the cows and corn. Not too much forest but some patches of trees. I live 4 miles from a 4000 town and four miles from a 400 town.

I'm still driving, and I drive when others much younger than I are in the car but they don't want to drive. That includes my daughter. I even drive my grand-kids around. And many of them have their license. Now I can drive the great-grands, too. If I can't drive anymore, I'm sure I will be moving into one of these little towns. But I'll stay happy right where I am for as long as I can.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:46 PM

Bearisgray, I can't imagine how it would be helpful to know how people get around in an area that's different from where you are, or is this just for curiosity's sake? If you are truly out in the country, is a bus or subway ever even an option? I'm in a large suburb, almost as big as the biggest city in Kansas, I'm pretty sure, but just a suburb of Dallas, and although the metro area, including our town, has trains and busses, I'm probably about 4 miles from the nearest commuter train station, and as far as I know there's no bus stop near me. Places I go regularly to drive my young grandson to karate, for example, 8 miles, or to go to the grocery store, about 3 miles, the hospital is 5 miles - well, you get the picture. Nothing is a short walk, though if really pressed I could make the 2 miles to a corner that has restaurants, a pharmacy and a gas/convenience store/post office, a dance school and a dog groomer. I'm sure Uber would be an option here, but I haven't looked into it. There's probably cab service, but that would be expensive. Bicycles are an option for some, weather permitting. I'm afraid I'm beyond the age of considering that, though I have a couple of similarly old friends who still ride daily for exercise. Not having a car out here would be awfully inconvenient.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 PM

I have just remembered to add that I have a cousin in her 80's who quit driving cars when her husband got home from Vietnam. She managed to raise 5 kids without driving - can't imagine how because I didn't know her well in those days. A few years ago they moved to a small Texas town, and for some reason they decided that she needed a way to get around when her husband was not well, so they got her a golf cart. I don't know if those are legal on the road everywhere, but it's an interesting choice.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

When we considered buying our house in the country we knew we would have to drive anywhere we needed to go but the trade off was well worth it. I love living in the country where it it peaceful and beautiful. I can ride my bike to a small grocery store if needed or if real ambious walk to store. I am very happy here.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I didn't learn to drive until I was 21, before that I lived in the city centre and walked to work. Soon as I learned to drive, that was it, no more public transport for me. I would be lost without my car, we live in outer suburbia in a hill location, the public transport system here is woeful.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:36 PM

I'm old enough that my grandmothers were born in the late 1800's and neither of them drove. My mother didn't learn how to drive (or maybe just get a license) until she was 35 and her older sister never drove. But, I grew up on a farm and even though I rode the school bus, we drove everywhere else. Didn't have a car when I was in college, so was pretty much confined to campus and had to search for a ride from kids from my area when I wanted to go home for the weekend. Over the years, I have often depended on public transportation for getting to work, but not for a long time. Not looking forward to the years when I might lose my independence by not being able to drive. About eight months ago I had to take my younger sister's car away when she moved into assisted living and she was not happy, but when someone becomes a threat to themselves and others, they can't be allowed to drive.