Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foundation piecing - fussy cut - tricksy placement >

Foundation piecing - fussy cut - tricksy placement

Foundation piecing - fussy cut - tricksy placement

Old 07-19-2017, 12:08 AM

Default Foundation piecing - fussy cut - tricksy placement

Does anyone have a good technique for placing irregular elements in foundation piecing? I have some experience with the method but one bit is proving really tricky.

I am working on the Take Wing pattern by Lillyella (https://lillyella.com/2015/03/09/tak...now-available/) which I am really enjoying. The tricky bit is on the wing tip, which is made from a very irregular triangle. I have fabric with a specific part I want to include, but am getting very muddled with right side/wrong side/which way to flip etc. And being a butterfly, there's two wings so they need to mirror image each other.

Previously I have relied on the method outlined by Lee Heinrich (https://weallsew.com/how-to-make-paper-piecing-easy/) - folding the paper back behind to make the correct placement. But the wing tips are deep in the middle of the unit so that method is no help.

It's embarrassing to admit how much time/fabric I've wasted but I'm really determined to solve this!

Many thanks
Old 07-19-2017, 01:33 AM

Can you cut a very large over-sized piece of the fabric and still retain the element that you want to include? Even with paper piecing, when adding your next piece of fabric it is still going to be right sides together. You just need to make sure there is enough fabric. I usually place my piece of fabric (RS together) behind the paper, then pin on the stitching line and flip the paper back to make sure I a) have enough fabric where it needs to be; b) have the proper element where I want it.

Hope that helps. It's a really neat pattern, btw!
Old 07-19-2017, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

very nice pattern... hope you get it solved quickly... NJQuilter gave some great advice
Old 07-19-2017, 05:44 AM

I did a lot of fussy cutting when doing the "50 Stars" blocks. I would trace that part of the pattern onto another piece of paper, then using something like a light table (I used a window) I'd put it over the fabric and trace some of the design I wanted onto the paper. Then I'd use that as a template to cut the peices, and to help getting them placed correctly for paper piecing. Most of the time, I had four I needed to match up, and once in a while 8.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 AM

You might want to bookmark this. It has been very helpful for me.
I like to cut my pieces with 1/2 seam allowance just to be safe.

http://blog.shopmartingale.com/quilt...ze-every-time/
Old 07-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

I would cut that particular pattern piece including a generous seam allowance out of template plastic. Make sure to mark one side left (or right). Then you can overlay it on the fabric and draw each wing. Flip the template to draw the other wing. Cut out the wings and before you sew them, put the fabric in position on the right side. Flip it over along the matching seam. Put a tiny bit of fabric glue in the seam, then turn the block over and sew the line. This at least makes perfect sense in my head.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:29 PM

When I saw another pattern done, it was done in different widths of fabric but all stitched as in a log cabin. Then she made a template of wax paper (or see through plastic) and put it on top to see if the sides were where they should be.
This is just a suggestion for you to try. That way you could unsew a small portion till it is okay. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2017, 02:23 AM

When I have difficulty with paper piecing; I'll make the block out of paper and it really helps
Old 07-20-2017, 02:25 AM

What a beautiful pattern and it does look a little tricky. Great suggestions thrown out...hope you find success.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:53 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. Am replying to say thanks and also in case someone else has this issue in future.

I have tried various suggestions, and this is what I finally came up with. Hope it makes sense.

Using thin see-through paper, I traced the shape from the pattern and added seam allowances - one each for the mirror sides of the wing. Marked the shape so there was no confusion about the way which piece faced etc.

When I do foundation piecing, after I have added a piece I fold back the paper at the next seam line and trim the just-placed fabric to the seamline plus 1/4" seam allowance. This gives a straight edge to line the next piece up with.

I folded the segment pattern at the seam line - putting the allowance behind the shape, and then placed on the fabric to isolate the design I wanted to use.

Sketched a couple of features of the fabric, and then placed the two pattern pieces back to back to check the sketches matched up.

Cut the fabric for each side to the seam allowance on the first side to be sewn, and allowed about 1/2" on the other sides.

Placed the traced shape face up in the location on the foundation piecing, matching the first seam line. Because the seam allowance part was folded behind the pattern, the cutting line was correctly placed within the shape. The dog ears of the triangle came out each side behind the pattern piece.

I then placed the fabric face down (RST) with the cutting line matching the cutting line and dog ears.

Sewed on the seam line.

Pressed the fabric in place and thank goodness it was perfect! On both sides!! Big woop here.

I have yet to try with other shapes but it may well work with them. The critical thing is getting that first seam right, and using the transparent paper and viewing the cutting line is what made the difference. So pleased to have sorted something a bit logical rather that cut, sew, pray!

Easy when you know how...