Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hen and Chicks >

Hen and Chicks

Hen and Chicks

Old 11-19-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
What a great idea..I would like to do those ..and use them on headbands!
Thank you, charismah! Love that name you have! ha. That's an interesting idea. Pm if you're serious, I'll tell you my secret recipe! 8) :roll:
Old 11-19-2009, 08:47 PM

That's adorable!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
That's adorable!
Thank you sooo much, tirnhi!! It's so nice of you to say!!! :wink:
Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 PM

wow.....really cute Idea...I would love to know how you did those I would love to do a cute lil wall hanging for my son and his gf...she loves things like this
Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 PM

I have LOVED hens and chicks/the plant, since I was a very young girl and mom and dad took me to the PI Livestock Show in Portland Oregon, clear back to the sixties ... early sixties <g>
anyway, I would buy them and take them to my mother, and they would die.
Finally in the middle nineties, I was watching an HGTV program or something and they mentioned that for the hens and chicks to reproduce, they have to freeze during the winter ...
so! AHA ... got the ranch and went to the Master Gardeners sale and bought all the hens and chicks I could get my hands on ... made a special place to plant them, and EVERYTHING ... alas!
Between my killing them with love, and the chickens enjoying them :?
I still don't have hens and chicks :cry:
But, I still like them ... just for general information, if it hasn't been answered already - - they are a succulent, part of the cactus family.
<wave>
nice project, too, by the way! LOL
Old 11-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by tigger5464
wow.....really cute Idea...I would love to know how you did those I would love to do a cute lil wall hanging for my son and his gf...she loves things like this
Thank you so much, tigger! Am always happy to share my patterns with anyone who wants it or teach anyone my technique although may have to do a tutorial on this as it's a litttle difficult explaining. Pics say a thousand words.

Here's my technique (just let me know if you can't get it). All flower petals start off with a 2 inch square of assorted lts and dks. Fold once to the diagonal corner. Keep repeating this step til you get to the size you want. Tack at one corner for each petal. To make the lg. flowers, do a process of tacking and stringing at the same time until you get the size string you want. Tack again in the original place of tacking. My first layer was 7, second was 6, and top was 8. Layer each tier to fall in open spaces from the tier underneath (just like the real flower) so the individual petals are exposed. Tack the three layers together. Clip any exposed strings showing. Place your centerpiece in the middle of ea flower. (I simply covered buttons and left them in for ease and structure). A simple way I did was just held a covered button with one hand while wrapping thread around it with the other hand and tying off. Worked great. Baby buds look self explanatory.

Let me know if you have any questions. :wink:
Old 11-19-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by omak
I have LOVED hens and chicks/the plant, since I was a very young girl and mom and dad took me to the PI Livestock Show in Portland Oregon, clear back to the sixties ... early sixties <g>
anyway, I would buy them and take them to my mother, and they would die.
Finally in the middle nineties, I was watching an HGTV program or something and they mentioned that for the hens and chicks to reproduce, they have to freeze during the winter ...
so! AHA ... got the ranch and went to the Master Gardeners sale and bought all the hens and chicks I could get my hands on ... made a special place to plant them, and EVERYTHING ... alas!
Between my killing them with love, and the chickens enjoying them :?
I still don't have hens and chicks :cry:
But, I still like them ... just for general information, if it hasn't been answered already - - they are a succulent, part of the cactus family.
<wave>
nice project, too, by the way! LOL
Thanks, Omak! Thanks also for the info on them. Sure wish you had some that would grow for you. They say they are very easy to grow. As my mother would always give them to me, they would always die (I overwatered everything) and I said at least we have a tradition going. ha. Every year she would give them to me and every yr without fail they would die on me. Hers were beautiful always at the point of flowering and billowing out of the tall clay strawberry jars looking like a ram's horn! Knew they were succulents but still am so careful to "wanna give my plants all the nourishment they need" ha they end up dying on me. I seem to do best with plants that are very difficult to grow and the easy ones suffer from my overly concern of them. And of all things, they grow best in the lousiest dirt ever! But I sure have a time with them. It was so nice to hear of your love for them since early childhood and wish you could have them grow for you the way my mother had them grow for her! She would love this mini because it was definitely her flower so this is in loving memory of her too. I guess it's amazing I have one single bud left that I hope will freeze this winter and multiply like crazy. If I have any baby buds I will ship some to you and you can freeze and get to multiply! lol. :lol: :roll: :roll: :wink:
Old 11-19-2009, 11:18 PM

Omak, I was laughing at something you said somewhere today on the board! And I thought you are one in a million! Don't remember where on the board either. It was so funny! Thanks for the laugh! :wink:
Old 11-20-2009, 02:30 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Those are so cute - I love the real 3D effect you got with the PPs. :D
Old 11-20-2009, 02:36 AM

Very nice ,great and :idea: idea