Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
We don't prewash, do we? >

We don't prewash, do we?

We don't prewash, do we?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:24 PM

I prewash some and flannel.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:11 AM

I don't pre-wash anymore but when I did, I serged the edges so not so many strings to cut off afterwards. Now I starch heavily so if its going to bleed, it normally does it then for me, plus once its dry, I spray mist and then press so some of the shrinkage should happen then too. Has worked for me and my quilts still come out a little wrinkled which I like anyway.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:04 PM

Ok, so with that subject, what do you thing about hand washing for one without an accessible washing machine?
Old 02-22-2018, 07:05 PM

Of course, you can hand wash your fabrics and hang them to dry. I would use steam to press them in this case.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:16 PM

Even if I weren't concerned about shrinkage and bleeding dyes in fabrics (and I've encountered a few) I would still be much more concerned about the chemicals or any other matter which might end up on the fabric (my cousin caught a couple of adults blowing their noses/wiping their noses on the new fabric in her shop. That fabric had to be thrown away -- she couldn't sell it. I would hope that people have more respect for fabrics that are in retail establishments, but I don't have confidence that this would be the case. I've seen instances where chicken bones, pieces of bread, etc., have been stuffed either in fabrics or in clothing. I don't think I need to tell you how disgusting that is to me. I have asthma -- and it's not going to go away, so I exercise a great deal of caution, so I guess I will always pre-wash. But I don't buy pre-cuts or quilt kits either. If something is going to be damaged by washing, I don't want it brought in the door to my house. An ER visit due to an asthma attach is soooo much more expensive, both financially and physically.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:47 AM

I just completed the Mystery Train Ride and I wasn't able to pre-wash as it was scrappy...something I always do. So, some of it will be pre-washed and some of it will not. We'll see how it washes.
Oh well, it's a Mystery, right?

Watson
Old 02-23-2018, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

I think washing before cutting is worth the effort. That said, I do have a large stack of fabric that is unwashed and taunting me.

It is a bit of a bother - but I think trying to remove dye that has bled and trying to repair seams that have pulled out because of shrinkage is a bigger bother.

From my experience, a small piece of fabric (a scrap or a precut) can bleed just as much as the larger piece of fabric it was cut from.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I rarely pre-wash but once in awhile I do if I think a fabric is suspicious. I've never had problems.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:26 AM

Prewash fabric? Never have, never will.