Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery question on Stabilized embroidery batting. >

Embroidery question on Stabilized embroidery batting.

Embroidery question on Stabilized embroidery batting.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:15 PM

Default Embroidery question on Stabilized embroidery batting.

Is Stabilized embroidery batting different than quilting batting? Also I have a choice of PES 1 and PES 2 designs. I have not had a choice before. Its always been PES though. Do you know the difference between the two?

I'm getting prepared for making Christmas gifts of pot holders. All stitched in the hoop. Its a fun way to make gifts.
We are going in our motorhome for a few days and I wanted to kit all the fabric, stabilizer and batting together while spending my time in the motorhome. My husband will be fishing. I won't have power but will have time!

Any information you can give me on the batting and the choice of PES 1 and PES 2 will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your answers. Happy sewing, quilting and embroidering. -Rhonda
Old 08-09-2017, 03:36 PM

By "stabilized batting"...do you mean batting with scrim? If so, it's a very light layer that holds the batting together..usually it shouldn't matter at all with an ITH embroidery design.
Here is a link to PES1 and other versions...

http://community.annthegran.com/Foru...&m=952#post952
Old 08-09-2017, 03:51 PM

Thanks Donna. I appreciated your response. I can't tell a difference between PES 1 and 2 ?? So that's why I asked and I cant find anything on the internet.
Also as to the batting, the instructions state: use stabilized embroidery batting. I have used the embroidery feature on my machine for a few years and have not heard of "stabilized embroidery batting", thus my question.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:35 PM

Ok folks I found the answer on stabilized embroidery batting. I found it on Nancy's Notions.

This specialty batting is perfect for making quilt blocks, pot holders, mug rugs, and other small projects with your embroidery machine.

Made from 85% cotton/15% polyester blend with a unique stabilizer lining.

Very low loft: only 1/16" thick.

It does not need another stabilizer with it.

Now for the Pes question. Onward and upward. Still looking.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:27 PM

What machine do you have for EMB? What is the max stitch size and stitch count for it?

I didn't know there were different versions of pes files.

http://community.annthegran.com/Foru...&m=952#post952

Not exactly sure if you need the following or not.

Another option in case you don't have that product available. I cut a piece of no-show-mesh and hoop. Check the tutorial for steps in the design file It should stitch out a placement line first. Place batting on the stitch line. Batting should be about 1/2 " bigger than original stitch line so it tacks down.

Depending on your design, you can use a large piece of no-show-mesh and just re-hoop for each stitch out. I sometimes do 6 blocks at a time (re-hooping after each). It saves on stabilizer. Then cut them apart. It really depends on the design and size of block. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2017, 02:14 AM

That stabilized batting is also known as Battilizer. I have used it in a couple Anita Goodesign quilts such as Halloween Town with very heavy stitching. It was easy to trim down to create precise seams when sewing the blocks together. I thought is was wonderful.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:29 AM

You have your answer for the batting. As for .pes format--Brother started with software labeled Personal Embroidery version 1. Over the yrs they have upgraded the software to higher versions..the limits of the designs made in these versions only limit you according to the size of hoops your machine will recognize. I have the software version 5 and for editing/merging a purchased design that was made in a higher version, for instance, I have to reformat it to the lower version 5 so my software will recognize it. As far as the .pes versions. I've been instructed that all the Brother machines recognize all the .pes versions as long as the design size doesn't exceed the hoop size. So re the .pes 1 and 2..I think it doesn't matter if the size of design and hoop are compatible. I hope this helps you. And, of course, you know you can take any other format (.hus, .jef, etc) and reformat them to the .pes format. You only need the free conversion software--several are available. So you are not limited to only using available .pes designs!
Old 08-10-2017, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
You have your answer for the batting. As for .pes format--Brother started with software labeled Personal Embroidery version 1. Over the yrs they have upgraded the software to higher versions..the limits of the designs made in these versions only limit you according to the size of hoops your machine will recognize. I have the software version 5 and for editing/merging a purchased design that was made in a higher version, for instance, I have to reformat it to the lower version 5 so my software will recognize it. As far as the .pes versions. I've been instructed that all the Brother machines recognize all the .pes versions as long as the design size doesn't exceed the hoop size. So re the .pes 1 and 2..I think it doesn't matter if the size of design and hoop are compatible. I hope this helps you. And, of course, you know you can take any other format (.hus, .jef, etc) and reformat them to the .pes format. You only need the free conversion software--several are available. So you are not limited to only using available .pes designs!
Thank you for this very helpful information on the PES formats. I have been wondering about that too.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:09 PM

Thanks so much for your helpful hints. I've been working with PES 1 and all is well. I've also used the stabilized batting and it is wonderful for in-the-hoop designs! This is on my list for must haves. I've always used left over quilting batting and have had issues with the foot or feed dogs running wild thru the batting. No more of that for me. It's great to have something that works so well. Thanks again all. Enjoy your crafting. Onward and upward with the hooping projects.
-Rhonda