Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Edmunds Quilt frame 5560-D >

Question about Edmunds Quilt frame 5560-D

Question about Edmunds Quilt frame 5560-D

Old 08-15-2017, 05:41 PM

Location: NC,GA,FLA,(GA and NC again), MD, MO, now Virginia...not going again
Default Question about Edmunds Quilt frame 5560-D

My good friend was in GA last month cleaning out her parents home. Her mother was an accomplished seamstess. In the attic she found an Edmunds 5560-D Maple quilting frame. She never remembered her mother using it. She very generously brought it home to me. The box was open so we feared missing parts. Indeed....this was correct.

Hubby and I just assembled this and not surprisingly found the rails missing.
I contacted F. A. Edmunds today looking for parts. They still have the joining plates, but the rails are no more.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing these rails? I suspect it won't be too hard to come up with something, but I am a new quilter so I am not too sure what size I should make the replacement rails. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mary HJ

Last edited by MaryHJ; 08-15-2017 at 05:43 PM. Reason: an omission
Old 08-15-2017, 06:11 PM

Since they are out of the rails would they give you the specifications so you could make your own?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:06 PM

I would think you could determine the diameter of the missing rails from the other parts. For instance, are there holes in other end parts for the rails to insert into? Or a place on a racheted part for a rail to insert? Are there any diagrams or color photos of the frame for guidance? I'd also search for the frame on ebay---you could find lots of that kind of information on sale ads for the same thing. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2017, 01:23 AM

I have one of this model and it is very difficult to get all the pieces back in the box. That being said,you know the mother did not throw the rails away. so they are still there in her house. Maybe the daughter can search for them next time she goes. If you need a copy of the instructions/diagram, just pm me.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:10 PM

Location: NC,GA,FLA,(GA and NC again), MD, MO, now Virginia...not going again

Thank you to all of you. I have the original instructions...worn, crackling, but they also have the assembly directions on the website. The rails are adjustable. They seem to be routed. Edmunds does still have the joining plate for the rails. They told me that it isn't uncommon for the rails to go missing. People take the work off and misplace the rails. I honestly don't thing the rails were ever there. The shipping label is not anyone the daughter recognizes. We think she perhaps got the frame at a yard sale of some such. Mawluv, is it possible that you could send me a few pictures..closeups... of the rails?? Edmunds seemed to think I could just make rails that would fit into the clamp spaces.
It is a well made, beautiful frame. I would love to be able to use it.
Thanks to all. The help is appreciated.
MaryHJ