Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Riccar 1010 Japanese Sewing Machine >

Riccar 1010 Japanese Sewing Machine

Riccar 1010 Japanese Sewing Machine

Old 08-19-2017, 06:17 PM
Banned

There are people over on the Victorian Sweatshop forum that have painted machines and may be able to give you good tips.
Cams are always a crapshoot unless you already know for sure that the ones you buy are for your machine. Even different machines from the same manufacturer will sometimes use different styles of cams.
Like I said before, the numbers around the reverse button are for your forward stitch length, nothing to do with reverse. Whatever your forward stitch length is set at, that's what the stitches should do when you push the reverse button.

Cari
Old 08-20-2017, 06:53 AM

Thanks Cari, have a nice day.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:52 AM

I wrote this yesterday, but neglected to hit "post", so this is abbreviated. Do a search on here, and you'll find a thread on painting a machine. Of course, there are professionals who will do it differently, but I assume you're an amateur. Basically, you take off everything you can to keep all the chemicals off parts you do not intend to paint. Then you strip the paint with a chemical, fill any low spots with bondo (sp?), sand, apply primer and then paint, usually three or four coats, sanding in between if you want a really nice finish. Then clear-coat or wax. (Amateurs usually use spray cans of auto paint from the autozone and the like.)

I have an old one I started stripping, but decided it was not a job I wanted to do. If I ever go back to it, I'll finish prepping it. I have a neighbor who works in an auto body shop. I'll get him to paint it for me.

bk