Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt Questions >

Rag Quilt Questions

Rag Quilt Questions

Old 10-07-2017, 06:43 AM

Default Rag Quilt Questions

This question is prompted off a similar thread here about rag quilt scissors. It got me thinking about rag quilts. I have a bag full of homespun fabrics and I've been noticing that my little daughter loves to curle up under my quilts. I have been thinking it would be nice to make a real cozy one for her.

So... my questions: Do you need special scissors to make one, or do they just make the job easier? And, does the finished quilt shed a ton of lint with each and every wash or just the first wash? Thanks for your answers!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:47 AM

Oh, and do you put batting in a rag quilt too?
Old 10-07-2017, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I think i did batting. if so i used Hobbs Heirloom 80/20. nice and thin and flat. special scissors are not necessary but do help one's hands. that is up to you. sew with 1/2 inch seam. yes, you get some bits of thread with each wash.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Banned

My mom made rag quilts for some of the kids about 6 years ago. She used flannel for all three layers and yes, they still fill up the lint trap in the dryer every time they get washed.

Cari
Old 10-07-2017, 12:26 PM

Yes. I use a thing batting. I've know people that use up their scraps of batting for them. I haven't done that. My sister makes tons of flannel blocks and uses thin batting for them for all her children and grands, and greats. You can also use regular fabric with batting. I've made one with lots of cotton scraps and they came out great. Also you can make a pattern with them that is made with squares. I've made tote bags with them and they are great.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:04 PM

The two that I made did not have any batting. I used two 10" squares of flannel sewed them wrong sides together from diagonal corner to corner (so there was an x holding them together) that made each square, then sewed squares together using 1/2" seam allowance, then clipped each row and column to seam lines so there was fringe thaw was 1/4 to 1/2" wide and not quite 1/2" long (that was really slow and painful even though I used rag clippers). Then threw in wash several times to get the fringes to fray. The two layers of flannel were thick enough to be comfortable without being too heavy.

Rob
Old 10-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

I’ve always used batting, but it’s a personal choice, some people don’t. I love them fluffy & puffy cozy & warm. You don’t have to have special scissors but ones that are sharp to the points really make clipping easier. I always double sew each seam during construction then after clipping I take it outside and really give it a good shake before tossing in the washer. Then I shake it again outside before putting in the dryer. I check it every 15-20 minutes in the dryer, take it out & shake it good & clean the lint trap. ( the birds love the strings I shake out) after that first laundering mine don’t really create a huge amount of lint each wash, but some. I don’t launder them constantly. Generally just when required- if something spills , or every 1-3 months if they are being used a lot. The kids use them for forts, travel quilts and play quilts. They are much loved.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Gay

One of these is on my 'one day' list, and I'm thinking of cutting the squares on the bias, which might stop a lot of lint when washing. What say you all on this idea
Old 10-07-2017, 03:00 PM

I made three for the grands. No batting but they are 3 layers thick. I picked up these scissors at Harbor Freight https://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch...ors-97042.html. They have a serrated edge on one blade which helps grab the fabric. They are still sharp and are my go to scissors when cutting something thick.

If I make another rag quilt I'm going to do as ckcowl suggestion of running it thru the dryer before washing. I washed mine first and stopped the washing machine a couple of times during the cycle to clean out the threads. It looked the Muppets had vomited in the washer!
Old 10-07-2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
One of these is on my 'one day' list, and I'm thinking of cutting the squares on the bias, which might stop a lot of lint when washing. What say you all on this idea
I'm not sure if it would stop the lint. The clippings are so close together that it still may fray. You could give it a try with a small square to see if it's to your liking.