Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yes (?)...No (?) >

Yes (?)...No (?)

Yes (?)...No (?)

Old 11-02-2017, 05:22 AM

Default Yes (?)...No (?)

My grandmother made a quilt for each of her grandchildren. When she died a quilt top was found, wrapped in tissue with my name on top. Mother said she never liked the way it went together in the center and that was why, evidentally, she had never quilted it. I've kept it all thesse years never knowing what to do with it. It's snow white and gingham blue and I love it and would, also, love to be able to use it however, the center does need attention and possibly redone and, as she was up in years, some of the stitches holding the seams together are huge. My dilemma is, and always has been, should I or should I not alter what she has done to repair it. It serves no purpose wrapped in tissue and tucked away and forgotten. My gut feeling at my age is to repair it and quilt it but I'm open to your thoughts.

Last edited by Wonnie; 11-02-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

I agree with you. Then you can enjoy it! I hope you will show it to us as well.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:25 AM

My thought is to repair it, quilt it and enjoy it. Put it on display where you can admire it every single day.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I would quilt it as is and love it.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:47 AM
DJ

If she wasn't pleased with it but kept it, she probably intended to fix it eventually; so you should go ahead and finish it up in her memory.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:59 AM

I had one like that for my sister. My Mom had made it over 30 years ago but never quilted it. I took it and when I put in on the frame, realized how bad it was. I took off the borders and fixed them, and had to fix the middle a bit.

I also assume my Mom had intended to fix it, but it got put away and Mom moved on to other things (she started crocheting afghans and gave up making quilts) and never got back to it. Like most of us, I'm sure my Mom would be very happy to have her UFO's finally completed and put into use.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

If the fabric seems to be in good condition, I would try to get the top usable - assuming you like the fabrics, colors, and pattern enough to deal with it.

I see no point in leaving something "as is" if it is not usable "as is" just because "someone" left it that way
Old 11-02-2017, 07:29 AM

My grandmother gave me an unfinished "Grandmas flower Garden", with all pieces to finish...I did not do quilting
at the time, it was hand done...so I had a church group finish it for me, and now I have a lovely quilt...
Old 11-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

i would definitely make it useable instead of hiding away
Old 11-02-2017, 07:35 AM

I think there's no wrong choice here just the one that feels most appropriate to you. Hard to say without seeing it but if it's in need of an obvious and necessary fix I would probably make my own changes to the top and quilt away!

Do show us please