Kraft-Tex

Old 11-06-2017, 08:17 PM

Default Kraft-Tex

Has anyone ever used this? If so can you share any tips. I go to an embroidery group once a month and we were given a piece of this stuff to make something w/that we are to bring back and show in Jan. I have an idea but want some tips on sewing w/it etc. if anyone has any. Also, can I embroider on it and if so what stabilizer would I use if any...the stuff is fairly stiff.

Here is a link if you are not familiar w/this product...http://www.ctpub.com/kraft-tex-roll-natural/

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:24 AM

There are you tube videos. If you crinkle it, it takes on the leather look. You could do a wallet, FOB, clutch purse, depending on the size. it takes embroidery really well too.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:32 AM

I've played with it a bit. I've never embroidered on it but I really don't think you'd need any sort of stabilizer unless you wanted to pin the kraft-tex to a hooped piece of tear-away rather than trying to hoop it directly. It might be hard to hoop it properly due to the thickness and stiffness.

It's really good tough stuff. I ran a sample piece through my washer and dryer a few times and kept it by my computer so I could try to rip through it in idle moments. I never could get it to rip! I was able to peel it apart in layers, but I couldn't rip through it ever after worrying at it (twisting it around, bending it, rubbing it, trying to fatigue it) for several days.

Running it through the washer & dryer gave it a worn and leathery sort of look that I liked better than the raw/new appearance. It also made it a little softer and easier to deal with, but it's still very stiff.

It's pretty cool stuff, if you ask me. I bought it to make faux leather tags, and also enough extra to experiment with making some bags (which I haven't gotten around to yet...)
Old 11-07-2017, 12:49 PM

Thanks to both of you.

Sewnoma- I thought about using it to make ginger bread people on Christmas placemats for some friends. I don't prewash my fabric so can I just use the Kraft-tex unwashed also, then just wash to completed placemats? I thought about embroidering their names on the ginger bread people, then just appliqueing them to the placemats. Think that would work?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:22 PM

Great idea using it for gingerbread. I have heard of this stuff, have it on my Christmas wish list
Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 PM

I had never heard of it before the shop owner( where we have the embroidery class) brought it out and showed it to us. It will be interesting to work w/it.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
...can I just use the Kraft-tex unwashed also, then just wash to completed placemats? I thought about embroidering their names on the ginger bread people, then just appliqueing them to the placemats. Think that would work?
I think that would work. I didn't specifically check for shrinking in the wash but I'd be surprised if it shrank. It doesn't fray, either. The edges get a slightly soft/fuzzy look after a few washings, but no loose threads or anything like that.

I'm glad you brought this up, I have a little Christmas project in mind for DH - some black kraft-tex will be the perfect 'fabric' for it and I wasn't thinking of it before you reminded me of its existence. I even have some on hand!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 AM

you don't have to wash it, it just gives it a different look, its nice to know you can wash it especially if you make gifts for kids and it holds up well
Old 11-08-2017, 01:46 PM

I think this stuff will be perfect for the gingerbread people, especially if it gets kinda soft/fuzzy looking. I will post pics of the finished placemats, when I get them done.

Sewmona you should post pics of whatever you make for your DH so people can see other ways to use this stuff.

romanojg-glad to know it doesn't have to be washed before hand.