Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
ISO Orange Pastry Cookies >

ISO Orange Pastry Cookies

ISO Orange Pastry Cookies

Old 11-11-2017, 08:48 PM

Default ISO Orange Pastry Cookies

Many, many years ago, a square dance friend made the best ... pastry cookies, I guess you'd call them. The dough was rolled out very thin on a sugared counter, sprinkled with more cinnamon sugar, folded and rolled again, repeating until you had about 12 layers. Then they were cut in strips about six inches long, twisted a couple of times, and baked. The sugar formed a wonderful caramelized glaze over them. I had the recipe, but it's gotten lost. All I remember of the ingredients was a whole orange pulverized in the blender. The elderly gentleman who made them is long gone, and of the few original people who remain in that square dance group, no one has the recipe either. I've been looking on the internet for years with various key words, but no luck at all. Does anyone know this one?
Old 11-12-2017, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
Many, many years ago, a square dance friend made the best ... pastry cookies, I guess you'd call them. The dough was rolled out very thin on a sugared counter, sprinkled with more cinnamon sugar, folded and rolled again, repeating until you had about 12 layers. Then they were cut in strips about six inches long, twisted a couple of times, and baked. The sugar formed a wonderful caramelized glaze over them. I had the recipe, but it's gotten lost. All I remember of the ingredients was a whole orange pulverized in the blender. The elderly gentleman who made them is long gone, and of the few original people who remain in that square dance group, no one has the recipe either. I've been looking on the internet for years with various key words, but no luck at all. Does anyone know this one?
I found this: http://cookandbemerry.com/twisted-co...lled-in-sugar/

They are called twisted cookies. I could not find any using an orange. Perhaps you could sub the orange for the liquid ingredients.

I hope you find your original recipe. Please post it if you do. It sounds yummy.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:39 AM

I hate that when that happens...good luck in your search. In the meantime, I think I will try Feather3’s link. They sound yummy too.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:08 AM

Those sound delicious. Yes if you ever find the recipe you must post it. I lost a favorite caramel brownie recipe several years ago. I knew it had been in a certain magazine somewhere in a 3 year span. I spent hours at the library going thru the magazines and found it. I copied it and came home and went to put it away where it belonged. There was the original copy right where it belonged. I know I had searched there numerous times for months.
Heres to hoping you find it.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:05 AM

I found this one, but she doesn't use a whole orange just the zest. I'm thinking maybe the whole orange wasn't part of the original recipe but evolved over time, happy accident or something like that. http://www.foodessa.com/2015/03/sour...ry-cookie.html
Old 11-12-2017, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
Those sound delicious. Yes if you ever find the recipe you must post it. I lost a favorite caramel brownie recipe several years ago. I knew it had been in a certain magazine somewhere in a 3 year span. I spent hours at the library going thru the magazines and found it. I copied it and came home and went to put it away where it belonged. There was the original copy right where it belonged. I know I had searched there numerous times for months.
Heres to hoping you find it.
Good to hear I am not the only one to look in the right place and not see what I want. Same thing in the grocery store, can NOT see an item, ask for help and it suddenly appears. Now you have two copies for your effort.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:40 AM

with those rolled layers it sounds like phyllo dough. you can buy it in the freezer section at the grocery.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:31 PM

phyllo does not rise with yeast. puff pastry will though. just saying.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:59 PM

There is no yeast in puff pastry. It makes the "puff" by creating layers and layers of butter between layers of thin "lean dough".

This recipe does sound like phyllo.

Watson
Old 11-13-2017, 09:51 PM

Thanks, all. I may try that first recipe and see how close it is. Someone on another board suggested brushing orange marmalade on the layers before folding.