Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your most useful quilt size, and why, especially if >

What is your most useful quilt size, and why, especially if

What is your most useful quilt size, and why, especially if

Old 11-17-2017, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Default What is your most useful quilt size, and why, especially if

you are making quilts just to make quilts?

I am working hard to use up a portion of my stash, so I am choosing blocks that are easy and fun for me to make. However, I have a tendency to make large quilts (queen size +/-) that take a lot of blocks. I enjoy making the blocks, but the putting together not-so-much. I am wondering if I should start making twin-size or throw size quilts instead. We are a very small family, with no one other than me much interested in quilts, and no babies, toddlers, or teens in need of a quilt.

I'm not a huge fan of donating quilts, although I do that occasionally. (One of my problems with donations is the impersonal way in which it is done. Where I am, you drop off a quilt and never hear a word about it again.)

I was thinking of couch throws, but I have noticed that my tendency (and that of others in the family) is to reach for the soft, fluffy, lightweight, thick polyester throw on the back of the couch when I need a foot cover. It is considerably less easy to manhandle a quilt throw that way, plus it doesn't have the cushy touch. Proof of the importance of the cushy touch is how many times our cats will visit the couch in order to palpate the polyester throw while purring (and bed down on it). I'm thinking maybe I should just make some decorative couch throws that don't get moved.

Anyway, just wondering what size others prefer to make, and the reasons for it.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:30 PM

I prefer a throw quilt instead of a full bed quilt. I love to curl up on DH's recliner with a quilt for when I get chilly (he likes the house really cold & so a throw quilt if perfect for me). When it comes to gifts, I always make a throw quilt instead of a bed quilt.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

As much as I love the bed quilts, my family is more into throw size.
Easier to make, makes a great gift and get to move onto the next project
faster. I gotta say, they get a lot of points, but I love a beautifully made bed, ~sigh~.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:50 PM

Most of the quilts I make are lap size, up to queen. I just find those sizes to be the most practical. The lap size quilts are good for warmth while sitting on the sofa, and can also be use as extra warmth on top of a bed quilt or at the foot of a bed to keep those toes nice and warm. The queen size quilts I make are, again, a good size for a bed quilt.

BTW, just like you, I do not make donation quilts for the same reasons. The quilts I make always have a home to go to before they are finished. lol ..... the first thing my hubby says to me when I'm working on a quilt is ..... who is this for ....
Old 11-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

I hear what you are saying about the donation quilts. Once in a blue moon, a thank you note arrives. I feel, however, that donating locally makes me happy, whether the thank you is there or not.my favorite size is about 42x50. most of my donations go to the cancer center and that is a good size for the treatment chair.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

I like about 60-75 wide by 80-85 long, What I call "couch size" - big enough to cover one entirely if one goes "horizontal" on the couch.

Plus I can wrestle that size through my machine.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

Another plus - it's large enough to be useful as an additional "cover" on a regular size bed when additional warmth is wanted/needed.

Don't have to worry about getting it to be an "exact" size to fit a particular bed.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:11 PM

I agree that a cotton backed quilt does not have the soft cuddly feeling that I like in a quilt. I back my quilts with an ultra cuddle fabric I get at Joanne's. I mostly make throw size quilts because I don't like to quilt the larger quilts on my DSM.

When donating quilts, I be sure that the donation satisfies me. Usually they go to organizations that I want to support, (autism fundraiser, domestic abuse shelter, etc).
Old 11-17-2017, 04:23 PM

I generally make throw sized quilts since that's what we use the most. I only have so many beds and do not need quilts just to pile up on a bed. I do use flannel as backing on all of my throws since it's soft and warm.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:35 PM

Lap quilts for the nursing home. Twin size for my home. I am enjoying making mini quilts now just for fun and I make larger ones at the request of family members. I just love to sew!