Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Wrap and Zap >

Using Wrap and Zap

Using Wrap and Zap

Old 11-19-2017, 08:45 AM

Default Using Wrap and Zap

I am making the quilted bowl holders for my sister and when I washed them they came out looking terrible. I did not preshrink the batting like the package says you can so I wonder if that was the problem. I didn't preshrink because the fabric was not preshrunk and I thought it would be best to just wash them together upon completion. Maybe I should just preshrink both, then assemble. If you have used this product before did you preshrink? Or do they just loose that mice flat look regardless?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

​I like to add quilting to mine to add some body.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 PM

But do you preshrink the wrap n zap?
Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 PM

I'm planning to make some of the bowls and I'm going to pre shrink both the batting and the fabric.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:23 PM

I made about ten of the bowl cosys with the wrap and zap. I did not know I was suppose to wash it first. I did put a bowl face down and draw around it. Then I sewed circles about 1 inch apart to quilt the bottom. I have not washed one yet and I am giving as gifts.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:12 PM

What is "wrap and zap"? I have never heard of the term before. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:43 PM

Wrap and Zap is a 100% cotton batting made by Pellon for use in the microwave.

sewingsuz- I have made four of these bowl holders and they all looked awful after washing. The first 2 I did and X from corner to corner then a circle in the middle, I also cut the batting the same size as the fabric. The second 2 I sewed and X corner to corner then a + from side to side and again a circle in the middle. W/these two I cut the batting 1" smaller and it did not get caught in the seam when I top stitched...mistake. They came out even worse than the first 2. So, I plan to, at the very least, preshrink the batting before making anymore. The package mentions that the batting will shrink, but does not say you have to preshrink. I just treated it like I would regular batting. If I were you I would wash one and see how it comes out, just in case...
Old 11-20-2017, 04:22 AM
Evy

Well, darn. I just finished about a dozen of these using wrap and zap. I had been using one piece of w&z and one of warm and natural and decided it was too thick. I've been washing the ones with warm and natural and never had a problem with shrinking. Guess I had better throw one in the washer and see what happens before giving any away.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:07 AM

I was advised to use bamboo batting. Has anyone made the bowl holders with bamboo?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
I am making the quilted bowl holders for my sister and when I washed them they came out looking terrible. I did not preshrink the batting like the package says you can so I wonder if that was the problem. I didn't preshrink because the fabric was not preshrunk and I thought it would be best to just wash them together upon completion. Maybe I should just preshrink both, then assemble. If you have used this product before did you preshrink? Or do they just loose that mice flat look regardless?Thanks.
Ohh nooo. I’ve made tons and I don’t preshrink welllll anything but flannel. I DO put a little quilting in. Maybe don’t wash in hot water. I quilt a circle on the bottom and radiating lines from the circle to the edge. Also top stitch around the edge. Folks who got them as gifts are still thrilled with them.
Attached Thumbnails fd7aeb29-7a31-444f-a977-0d30888ef441.jpeg   81caed2b-938c-41cb-bef3-bf1bf65e6ffb.jpeg