Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your favorite FMQ foot? >

What's your favorite FMQ foot?

What's your favorite FMQ foot?

Old 11-19-2017, 05:33 PM

Default What's your favorite FMQ foot?

You can give an answer for a low or high shank foot, because I have one of each that I can use for this. I don't want to buy one, wait for it to get here, and then find out all of you would have said, "Ohhhh, not that one..." Thanks! Patti
Old 11-19-2017, 10:31 PM
Banned

Depends on the machine. I have a few different ones because what works great on one machine may not work as well on another. I have one like this - http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...luxe-NN-31.htm
and this - http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...td-SCF4021.htm
and this - http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...foot-55417.htm
I even have one machine, an old straight stitch clone, that doesn't like any of the darning feet I've tried so I just leave the regular foot on it. I don't even drop the feed dogs. I just set my stitch length to zero and go.

Cari
Old 11-20-2017, 12:14 AM

Thank you!
Old 11-20-2017, 02:43 AM

I prefer a foot that floats over the quilt top to one that hops.
http://janome.com/en/accessories/sew...tion-quilting/

Watson
Old 11-20-2017, 04:21 AM

For my Brother PQ1500s (high shank) I love the Janome convertible FMQ foot set with the ruler foot attachment- it just floats over the surface and has a thumb screw that’s great for doing quick adjustments to get over high spots. I use it for ruler work and also reg. (freehand) FMQ as the visibility is very good.

For my PC420 (low shank)- I usually use a generic metal hopping foot that started out as a wide oval, I cut the front portion off the oval and the visibility is great. That machine does a much better job with a hopping foot than a floating one. OR- I sometimes use the hopping foot that came with this machine since it has some nice markings on the front that can be used for precise echoing without measuring. That foot is a clear oval (almost rectangular) with red marks on the front for use with the needle in either the right or left position to get a nice consistent echo. You use one line to follow the line you want to echo and move the needle over to the other line- very convenient if you want that kind of precision

For my Vintage Brother VX560 (low shank)- I prefer the Westalee ruler foot- it floats and I can use it for both ruler work and regular (freehand) FMQ. When I got that machine new back in 1981- I used it without a foot for FMQ and free motion embroidery (which is how the instruction manual said to do it)- really had to watch where those fingers were in relation to the needle LOL!

For my vintage Kenmore (super high shank)- I drop the feed dogs and use either my zigzag, clear open toe satin stitch foot. I have never been able to find a darning foot for this machine because of the super high shank, but it does a great job FMQ with the regular feet.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 11-20-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:54 AM

I also like the foot that floats over the quilt sandwich. I have two machines I use for FMQ. One has a foot with a spring. The other is stationary. Both have that half circle opening so I can see where I am going with my stitching. The edges of that half circle is 1/4 inch so that is really great and easy to direct for stitching 1/4 inch from seam lines. I like it for stitching in the ditch as well.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:01 AM

I have all vintage Singers and I did try a hopping foot and didn't care for it. I agree with Rob (rryder) on the Westalee floating ruler foot. I can use my rulers and then do some ad-libbing fmq with it. Take this with a grain of salt as I am a rookie quilter:-)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

I have two machines I use all the time. I just use the regular hopping foot that came with them.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:42 PM

When I FMQ on my Brother XR3240 I prefer a hopping foot, but when I FMQ on my vintage Singer I find it works better with the foot just floating over the quilt. I just use the generic plastic FMQ feet for both machines too.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

I am liking my Bernina #72 ruler foot for FMQ. I can dial it down to just above the sandwich and I don't have to fiddle with my tension for perfect stitching. I also like the fact that it is stationary and doesn't hop.