Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crazy quilt questions >

Crazy quilt questions

Crazy quilt questions

Old 11-22-2017, 03:59 AM

Default Crazy quilt questions

As I begin planning my CQ adventure--- maybe three blocks or something more substantial....I have a few questions. First I am thinking I will piece by machine using 1/4" seams, not the Victorian way of placing fab pieces onto foundation, trim, fold under and hand emb down. I may, however attempt to hand emb and or embellish some seams just for kicks and grins..that is after I've sewed them w/ machine. So, if I do piecing by machine, then either machine dec stitches or hand, I don't think I would need the muslin foundation? But, if I do, that means all that added stitching is done thru to back muslin too. So does that mean when all done ( hah!) I would have to somehow attach a backing fabric to cover all that? Just trying to pre plan this challenge! Thanks for insights/ ideas/ suggestions

oops! Forgot--- if I don't use a muslin foundation, would I then need a tear away stabilizer if I decide to do machine deco stitches?

Last edited by Geri B; 11-22-2017 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:56 AM

I'd use stabilizer if I'm doing decorative stitches with my machine. If you have an embroidery machine, you might want to check out Molly Mine designs, cheating for crazy quilt designs- yes! Easy and gorgeous - yes! One of the nice things with crazy quilting is you can use those itty bitty scraps.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:30 AM

I like to do my machine fancy stitches on top of each piece before I set the next one. I use a muslin backing and have found I don't need additional stabilization, but I'm using decorative stitches, not true embroidery.

If you sew all the pieces together first, and then do all your machine embroidery, you'll have to be very careful about starting and stopping if you want to look like something goes underneath the next piece.

I've pieced crazy blocks with foundation and without. I was not planning on doing any decorative stitching on the one without. I have done machine applique, and found I have to use stabilization underneath or I get puckered stitching. If I'm doing a real wide satin stitch, I can still get puckering even with the muslin, unless I go slow and hold the fabric taut while stitching.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:17 AM

I have used Molly Mine crazy quilt blocks. they are indeed, very nice but the decorative stitches do not go all the way to the outer edge of the block. they are short by maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch. That was somewhat disappointing to me.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:40 PM

The Scrap Crazy Ruler is perfect for making crazy quilt blocks with embellishments. Here's a link. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FlfD9DXp9GQ. Look at the quil shown at 2:22 minutes. I have the template set and there is a lot you can make with it! Easy and fun!
Old 11-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Gay

I usually have several (think many) blocks cut out, much like stack-n-whack, in piles. Then I will sew the centre to the 'second' piece of all blocks, chain sewing, and after that do the decorative sewing along those seams. The thread ends are then hidden beneath the next piece when it is sewn on. My biggest bug is having to change the thread colour and selecting different stitches for each seam - but I do love it. Also love using bobbin embroidery with thicker threads for this. I only use copy paper as a stabilizer, as it will come out when I soak the blocks when done, and no need to worry about the seams shredding.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
The Scrap Crazy Ruler is perfect for making crazy quilt blocks with embellishments. Here's a link. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FlfD9DXp9GQ. Look at the quil shown at 2:22 minutes. I have the template set and there is a lot you can make with it! Easy and fun!

Oh, that is a tempting template! It seems so versitile not just a one trick pony......hmmmmm, might be worth investing in.....and there is a LQS.....about 25 miles.....that carries CG.....ill have to call and see if that one is in stock!
you are a troublemaker! Just st kidding!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:57 AM

I used foundation for all of my blocks. The hand stitches go all the way trough. And yes, then you put a back on the finished quilt. I tied it together in the back. I didn't use batting.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Oh, that is a tempting template! It seems so versitile not just a one trick pony......hmmmmm, might be worth investing in.....and there is a LQS.....about 25 miles.....that carries CG.....ill have to call and see if that one is in stock!
you are a troublemaker! Just st kidding!
LOL! I was lucky to be able to go on a two night retreat with Karen Montgomery and make two items using the ruler template set. I purchased the book and am ready to try some other patterns!