Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine question... >

Machine question...

Machine question...

Old 12-07-2017, 07:04 AM

I have a Kenmore 158 I bought in the early 70's and didn't upgrade it until 2006 when I bought a Brother EX600. The Kenmore is still my go to machine. It will sew through anything.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:29 AM

My first machine was a treadle then on to Sears, Wards and Singer. In 1970, I took the plunge and bought an Elna Super with every cam available. I loved that machine and used it for upholstery, dressmaking, and just about anything else conceivable. In 2000, everything changed. I had health issues that nearly claimed my life. I re-evaluated what might be a very short life span. I decided to buy a new machine. I selected a Janome 9500 and expanded my ideas about what a machine could and should do. In 2016, I bought a Juki 2010 for my quilting. Last January, I purchased the Janome 14000. My 9500 still works well, but I wanted even more as I am now retired and spend my days sewing. I have not regretted it. I shopped for a bargain and paid quite a lot less than the $10,000 MSRP. I feel good about the possibilities at my fingertips. I get up every day looking forward to going to my studio to create something special. I have outlived all medical expectations and I believe that staying busy and happy is part of that success. From that perspective, these machines may be the best investment I have ever made.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:33 AM

My 1st real machine was an Elna SU62. Had that one from 1977 to 2000 when I purchased my 1st embroidery machine, a Viking Designer1. Didn't think I needed 2 machines so sold the Elna. Bad move on my part. Tried to buy it back from the gal but no deal not even twice what she paid for it. Been kicking myself ever since for that move. Kept the D1 till just last year when I upgraded to their Epic model, traded in the D1. Also had a Babylock Ellegante for embroidery mostly but just sold that this past month as I'm now trying to downsize. I do have a little Brother sewing only machine though. If the machine does what I want it to do I don't see any reason to trade up or down.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:09 AM

My last new machine purchase was a 1973 Elna 62C. I have added some vintage machines since because the Elna is not a good quilter, but she does everything else too well to consider another machine. If I were younger, I might consider an embroidery machine, but I wouldn't get enough use out of one to justify the price and space at this time in my life.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:40 AM

I have glaucoma and am developing cataracts, so any machine I buy from now on will have an automatic needle threader. I love mine for that reason alone.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:51 PM

I have a featherweight, a 1958 Singer 401A which will do everything I will want it to--embroidery, etc, and a Viking from the 90's. That's all, folks, that I will need forever as health issues prohibit me sewing for long at a time. I have 7 quilt tops to finish this year. Wish me luck.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:04 PM

I got myself a Baby Lock Journey and it has absolutely everything I need.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:00 AM

We got a Singer in 1982 as a wedding present from my grandmother; it still works good as I've maintained it over the years but haven't used it much. Five or more years ago, I got a Singer Featherweight - love that little machine! A couple of years ago, I decided to take the plunge and get a brand new machine. I bought a Babylock Soprano and love it also. The thing I like about the Babylock is the automatic needle threader and thread cutter. Also, it has an attachment to make the arm longer for quilting. Each machine has it's own special advantages.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:01 AM

I only piece on my Featherweight or 301. Nicer stiches, perfect scant 1/4 inch and they last forever! I do have a $$$$ Janome that I use to quilt, walking foot, stretch fabrics and fancy stitches. I would have never spent that much if I had known about the vintage machines 4 years ago.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:07 PM

The only reason l would get a new machine is to get a bigger throat space, or a stitch option mine doesn't have.