Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is There A Equal Substitute For Bleach? >

Is There A Equal Substitute For Bleach?

Is There A Equal Substitute For Bleach?

Old 12-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Default Is There A Equal Substitute For Bleach?

Hello everyone,

I need some input on this. I am only use to washing dishes using Dawn liquid, and bleach. At the beginning of the year we had a septic tank issue. Guy come out to take a look, and said it was full, but that due to us not using that box of stuff you buy that breaks it all down (Rid X) I think, we needed to not use bleach for a few months.

Ok, so we have done that with everything better, but I want to use my bleach again. Some have said that I can't use the bleach and expect the septic tank to not give issues.

I have a dishwasher, but don't use it due to I have to make sure I see my dishes totally clean before I put them up.

Can I use my bleach again? If not what do I use for peace of mind?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2017, 09:45 AM

How much bleach are you using? You only need to use a little bit of it for doing your dishes, if that is what you wish to do. I dont use any bleach for dishes, but understand that some may like to such as yourself.

Now for laundry I do use bleach and we also have a septic tank and I haven't had any problems. Did the tank guy say to use Rid X? If you google this issue you may find some solutions.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

You seem to have "survived" without using bleach for several months.

There are all sorts of articles on the internet about bleach being a "hazardous/toxic" product and harmful to humans.

I try to avoid using bleach - (I will use it once in a blue moon) - because I think it is a dangerous product and should be used only for "dire" situations.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

It is hazardous if you drink it, but that is not what I used it for. I also only used a tiny bit in dish water and clothes. Bleach is what they use for killing many diseases that are easily spread.

Thanks Sandra.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

I use bleach occasionally. It's good at killing germs, but it kills indiscriminately -- good bacteria along with the bad. Using it daily may be why your septic system could not operate effectively to break down waste.

Here is a good article that may help:
https://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-s...-the-right-way

One thing that is not mentioned in the article is heat. I use a steam cleaner on our bathrooms and love its ability to both clean and disinfect without chemicals. Steam cleaners are great for hard surfaces.

Why do you need to make sure your dishes are totally clean before putting them in the dishwasher? Older dishwashers do not handle food residues, but they still do an excellent job at cleaning germs off dishes. We have a newer dishwasher and its drying cycle uses such high heat our dishes are actually sterile when they come out. For this reason, dishwashers are often used to sterilize canning jars. Soap and water are excellent for getting rid of germs. I can see rinsing off dishes before putting them into the dishwasher if you have a dishwasher that cannot handle food residues, but otherwise it seems totally unnecessary to use bleach on dishes.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

Bleach is horrible for people and the environment. Our bodies have immune systems to keep us healthy. I'm an RN and we were always taught that there is no better way to prevent germs from spreading than good old soap and water. Ask any health care professional and they will tell you the same thing.
If you must use bleach use caution so that you don't inhale it. I honestly can't think of any reason to use it.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:08 PM

I agree with Prism99.

I am not sure why you need to use so much bleach. I used to live in a house that had a septic tank, and the advice was never to use bleach, because it kills the bacteria needed for efficient functioning of the septic tank. Other advice was only to use white toilet tissue without added 'things' such as aloe vera, not to flush baby wipes, face wipes etc; in other words "pee, poo, and paper" aka 3 Ps only. There are toilet cleaners that state 'safe for use in septic tank systems', and that is what I used in the toilet only, but not all the time. The tank (in my instance) looked after itself by following these guidelines.
Steam is excellent for cleaning, and dishwashers get dishes cleaner than washing in the sink.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:02 PM

Are you using a garbage disposal? They aren't good for septic systems.

Also certain TP is not good for system and doesn't break down as easily as others.

No need to use other agents in the septic such as r*ide*x according to our service company.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

I read to use only 1 ply toilet tissue. I think it said it breaks down easier. I will do more research on it though. Many in the south have septic tanks, but we don't have the city taxes.

I don't wash my dishes first before putting them in the dishwasher. I am weird I guess, but I actually like washing dishes by hand. I may start using the dishwasher again though since I don't have much energy. I do like the part where the drying cycle has that hot heat, so that is good.

Sometimes I think I have become like this due to having so many overlapping autoimmune disorders.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

Oh, I see that I misread your original post about the dishwasher; you meant that you wash the dishes by hand before putting them away, not before putting them in the dishwasher.

Sorry about your autoimmune issues. All I know is that they are very tricky to deal with.

Last edited by Prism99; 12-14-2017 at 01:27 PM.