Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you feel you need to sanitize/disinfect/sterilize when you clean your home ? >

do you feel you need to sanitize/disinfect/sterilize when you clean your home ?

do you feel you need to sanitize/disinfect/sterilize when you clean your home ?

Old 12-19-2017, 11:26 PM

I use bleach in my bathrooms, kitchen and a small amount in my bedding/towels when I do laundry. I was raised in a pigsty of a house, so I'm a bit nutty about some things. I buy vinegar by the largest jug I can find, usually two at a time. Go through that like water. That said, I throw threads etc on the floor when sewing, and might not dustmop them up for a day or two. I keep my home clean enough that I don't have to clean for guests. I just say "come on over, I'll put the coffee on".
Old 12-20-2017, 07:47 PM

When my girls were little yes every 2-3 days I cleaned from ceiling to floor using bleach, Lysol ect..But I realized I was causing them to get sick easier, I know that may sound silly, because I did this so much they picked up every germ around. My oldest got micro-plasma( a sickness brought back from desert storm) I spent so much time back and froth to the doctors with her and time with her at home I did not get to clean for 2 weeks nothing more than small stuff. I started noticing a change in all of my family and made the change myself. Now I really clean once a week with products that kill germs and when someone is sick. I also clean 20 homes, and have cut down on antibacterial products. I do think these products have played a major role in the decline of my health over the last 10 years. A lot of the disinfecting and germ killing products need to remain wet on counter tops and ect for 13 minutes before they work as they should. I now use a lot of steam to kill germs such as steam mops and the little hot shot steam machines.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:37 AM

I find people who are constantly disinfecting, cleaning, scrubbing, etc. are always the sick ones. And then they complain their children are always sick. No one ever gets a chance to build up an ounce of immunity. Healthiest people are farm people. My grandparents lived into their late 80's and 90's. So did my uncles and aunts.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:45 AM

Nope. I think a little (ok, a lot) dirt is healthier than sterilized rooms.

Rob
Old 12-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

i do think there is a difference. between filth, grime, and " recent" , easily cleaned up/removed dirt and mess.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

Me and hubby made a trip to doctor today, just short of being admitted to hospital with severe stomach flu. Tested also for another strain, but ok there. The doctor was wearing a mask due to so much going around.

I ask her about the bleach thing when cleaning, and responses I got here. She shook her head, and said their whole clinic is cleaned with bleach every day top to bottom, and she does the same in her own home including their laundry.

I am with her on this.

My New Years Resolution is to clean more, and except for the conditions there is no cure for, Healty living.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!