Tread/handcrank combo

Old 01-02-2018, 07:24 AM

Default Tread/handcrank combo

Forgive me if I asked this in years’ past.
Can a machine be utilized as both a treadle and a handcrank? I find myself sewing lately with me manually “rotating” the wheel that is on there for the treadle and get my fingers getting tangled (ouch!) in the wheel. My treadle is a White Rotary, year 1918.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:59 AM

I haven't tried it. In theory if might work.. but both the treadle and the handcrank run the handwheel from systems that fall back with gravity. That is the wheels will turn after you are done powering them. The balance of the handwheel could be thrown off greatly at the speeds a treadle can produce. Also, White hand cranks are pretty rare.
I've ben curious about this too.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
I haven't tried it. In theory if might work.. but both the treadle and the handcrank run the handwheel from systems that fall back with gravity. That is the wheels will turn after you are done powering them. The balance of the handwheel could be thrown off greatly at the speeds a treadle can produce. Also, White hand cranks are pretty rare.
I've ben curious about this too.
Yeah, I wondered about some handle being put on the wheel I have now that is connected to the treadle. But not sure. Surely, someone has improvised something like this. Guess, basically, I need a handle that, when using and it is making the treadle go, it does not get away from me and I still get my fingers tangled. My White goes really fast.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:20 PM

Other than making sure the handwheel is going in the right direction to start with and to keep it from rocking back when you are finished, I can't understand why you want your fingers involved. Most treadlers would have them guiding fabric once a rhythm is started.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Other than making sure the handwheel is going in the right direction to start with and to keep it from rocking back when you are finished, I can't understand why you want your fingers involved. Most treadlers would have them guiding fabric once a rhythm is started.
I just find myself manually turning the wheel on somethings. Usually it is around a long curve or for a stretch over thick pieces that if going fast the needle hits the plate instead. This machine will go through anything, it seems, but some stuff needs to be at a slow, deliberate pace, and slower than the treadle allows. When coming out of the thick stuff, I pick up the pace and seem to get my fingers tangled in the wheel when I am “jumping onto the treadle”.

Another reason is I would like to teach my grandchildren to use the machine but they cannot reach the treadle but can the wheel. Probably gonna have to just break down and get a handcrank for them.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 AM

I don't have a handcrank on a White, but have a Singer 28 that came that way... manufactured, and purchased in England by the guy I bought it from, when he returned to the US with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586504[/ATTACH]

Hope you can see it resizing did not result in what I had in mind!
Attached Thumbnails singer-28-treadle-s-v617881_pic-4-497x450-.jpg  
Old 01-03-2018, 12:57 PM

Maria, do you treadle this with the handcrank on it? How does it work?

Thanks.

yobrosew, I added a handcrank to a White. well, sort of. Bought a steering wheel knob at a farm supply. Bolted directly to the handwheel, so it didn't have any gearing and didn't fit well. I took it off pretty quickly. Your description makes sense. We'll see if anyone else does it.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:52 AM

Maria, do you treadle this with the handcrank on it? How does it work?

Thanks.
Yes, as long as the handcrank is engaged, like in the Craigslist picture above. If it is disengaged, as needed to place the bonnet on the stand, the handle will hit the table. So you can easily treadle, stop and then handcrank or visa versa. Just have to make sure to keep your toes out of the way when handcranking, as the treadle will be moving. A little to get used to!!!

I travelled from 1 hr south of Knoxville TN to Lexington KY and back in one day to get this one! Owner had purchased it as an antique while working in England. Government paid to ship it back to USA when he retired. One of my prized possessions. Correction it is a 28K, meaning made in Scotland.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:03 PM
KLO

Love your combination treadle/handcrank Maria. What a great find and probably well worth the trip! It's a beauty for sure! It certainly sounds like one needs to be coordinated a bit to work it without getting a bit hurt but that just takes practice.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:03 PM

Thanks. If I wanted to, I can unloop the belt when using the handcrank. I may change to tubing belt. It is easier to put on and take off. That is, if I want to change often during a project.

Since I have so many handcranks, treadles, electric, one semi industrial walking foot, and 2 industrials, one straight stitch and one walking foot, a portable blindstitch machine and a serger/coverstitch, I may not find the need to do so.