Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help with belt falling off treadle >

Need help with belt falling off treadle

Need help with belt falling off treadle

Old 01-09-2018, 10:49 PM

Default Need help with belt falling off treadle

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have a White Family Rotary treadle machine which works well when turned by hand but the belt falls off when I try to turn the machine with the treadle, I have tried the old leather belt, a new leather belt, and a nylon rope but nothing has worked. The belt falls off the back side of the large lower wheel on the first rotation and tightness of the belt doesn't seem to matter, unless it is so loose that is slips.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:04 AM

YOu haven't mentioned checking the big lower drive wheel for wobble. Does it move side to side on the axle?

Try treadlng it without a belt on and gently and carefully putting some side pressure on the wheel..

Welcome aboard
Old 01-10-2018, 07:06 AM

Some wheel axles are straight and some are beveled. forgot what White did.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586855[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails leonf-u169597-albums19738-580552.jpg  
Old 01-10-2018, 08:16 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586856[/ATTACH]
Oft times when fixed or rebuilt over a lifetime of the machines this washer (white arrow) against cabinet is missing, making wobble enough for belt to jump out at green arrow. Same effect if screw at blue arrow is stripped. The treadle wheel itself should not be over-exaggerate in its wobble. If so, again the belt jumps the track. Also, before troubleshooting further, be sure all oil points have been oiled “down below”. Is there any rust build ups.

Do not get iscouraged, I LOVE my White Rotary Treadle! Once you resolve this the machine will most likely be maintenace free from here on out. It is a blast to “drive”!
Attached Thumbnails 6a303d84-3afa-49be-bf6a-7d20051b94d4.jpeg  
Old 01-10-2018, 08:41 AM

In this thread poster xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx shares about belt popping off. White Rotary Treadle machine! Woo-hoo!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:02 AM

Thanks yobrosew for the nice shot and directions.. yep, if the framework is loose the wheel will wiggle.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Oft times when fixed or rebuilt over a lifetime of the machines this washer (white arrow) against cabinet is missing, making wobble enough for belt to jump out at green arrow. Same effect if screw at blue arrow is stripped. The treadle wheel itself should not be over-exaggerate in its wobble. If so, again the belt jumps the track. Also, before troubleshooting further, be sure all oil points have been oiled “down below”. Is there any rust build ups.

Do not get iscouraged, I LOVE my White Rotary Treadle! Once you resolve this the machine will most likely be maintenace free from here on out. It is a blast to “drive”!
This sounds like it might be my problem, the washer that is. It always seems to jump off at the back of the wheel, I'll have to give this a look in the next few days.

I previously oiled the friction points I could reach but I'll do it again when I get under there.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
YOu haven't mentioned checking the big lower drive wheel for wobble. Does it move side to side on the axle?

Try treadlng it without a belt on and gently and carefully putting some side pressure on the wheel..

Welcome aboard
I haven't checked it for wobble, but I will. What effect does straight vs. beveled axle have?
Old 01-11-2018, 08:08 AM

I suspect that the beveled axle might get looser a little easier than the straight axles. Just a guess though. Easier to adjust if it is, I think.
Not a lot of experience here.