Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted? >

How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted?

How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted?

Old 01-28-2018, 04:35 AM

I quilt most of my quilts on my BERNINA 1130 of B530 and enjoy doing them. I plan to take a ruler class for
DSM soon because I like the look of that type of quilting. I have taken a long arm class at my local LQS and have rented time. I did a creditable job using a panto type design that I drew on paper and pinned to the quilt. The quilt was a queen and I did not to wrestle with it at home. I liked the long arm experience because it eliminated the basting. At home I usually use Elmer's glue on my sandwiches and am successful with this method. I really do not like to pin baste
Old 01-28-2018, 04:58 AM

I tie large quilts now. I find that they drape so much nicer. Small quilts I either tie or machine quilt. I used to send my large quilts to Happy Crafters.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:12 AM

It’s quite an accomplishment for me to finish a top (flimsy) due to time constraints. So when I get a top done, it goes to my LAer. I do quilt small items, but that’s it.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:29 AM

I do my own on my Janome 6600. Getting the large ones basted is sometimes quite a job but I so like the feeling of accomplishment when I can do a whole quilt myself. It does take practice though.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:35 AM

I always quilt my own on a domestic, but I have a machine with an 11" harp. I generally prefer very simple designs so that helps. I am always looking on Craigslist for a good deal on a long arm so maybe one of these days. I have never been tempted to send anything out as I like my projects to be 100% my own.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:36 AM

From the beginning, I quilted all my quilts on my domestic. I had a friend with a long arm, so I used that for some really big quilts. It was fun to learn how to use the computer quilter, but in the end, I didn't like standing there watching it quilt for me all day. I saved for 6 years and purchased a 22 inch sit down Gammill Charm...Love it!
Old 01-28-2018, 05:50 AM

I put my Janome 6500P on a grace frame and do it that way. Not much quilting space at a time (maybe 5 inches) so I stick to meandering and small loops and circles. It's a learning process. With my neck and back pain it's easier for me than pull and tugging through a small harp on a domestic machine.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:00 AM

I quilted one twin size quilt on my DSM.. said never again and bought a longarm. I am on my second longarm now. wanted a larger throat and computerized system. I like doing my quilts from start to finish.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:28 AM

I was sending to a long armer. Tried to do free motion on DSM takes to much practice and not enjoying it. My daughter got a midarmer last year and I was playing with it when I went there to visit (wished she lived closer)and loved being able to do it. So now since I am a widow I am in the process of converting my master bedroom into my quilting studio. Just ordered a Block Rockit 15 quilting machine and frame when I was at road to california from Kathy quilts. I hope I am not making a Mistake.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:43 AM

I do my own on my longarm. I use pantograms; I don't feel confident enough to mess up a nice quilt by practicing custom quilting. Although I LOVE the looks of it.