Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Insuring my quilt >

Insuring my quilt

Insuring my quilt

Old 02-03-2018, 11:50 AM

Default Insuring my quilt

Have you insured a quilt via a rider on your homeowners policy or a stand-alone policy?
I recently finished a quilt that I English Paper Pieced and hand quilted. I had it appraised and then I contacted my insurance company to get a rider on my homeowners policy. I explained that I will be entering it in a couple of quilt shows and want to insure it against loss or theft while it is out of my possession. They want it to be in a case of some sort, not a cardboard box, while it's in transit. And, they would really like it to be a case while it is on display. These people have obviously never been to a quilt show!

How did your insurance company handle it? Who is your insurance company?
Thanks
Old 02-03-2018, 01:08 PM

I can't answer your questions, but I can share a tip I recently came across: on your shipping forms, do Not identify the package as a quilt, as this may tempt thieves. Instead, label it as "bedding".

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-04-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I sent several quilts years ago and did not put them as quilts. U.P.S. delivered them safe and sound.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:19 PM

You might want to check with an independent agent who specializes in antiques, collectibles, anything out of the ordinary. Companies that specialize in that type of insurance are often cheaper and more reasonable than the company you have your homeowner's insurance with. We insure 2 collectible cars thru a specialty insurance company for a fraction of what you can insure them thru a regular insurance company. You might have more luck that way with them understanding what you doing and what you need. A lot will also depend in how much you are insuring it for. When the amounts get high, the insurance companies get more demanding.

Here's in interesting link about insuring quilts http://lostquilt.com/protecting-quil...g-your-quilts/

Last edited by cashs_mom; 02-03-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

No such stipulations were requested by our insurance agent. All they needed was a copy of my appraisals and they were included in our household items coverage.
I didnt say anything about them being sent/ displayed anywhere. I was assured if anything happened to them ( theft, fire, accident whatever) I just need a police report, or proof of the loss or damage.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
No such stipulations were requested by our insurance agent. All they needed was a copy of my appraisals and they were included in our household items coverage.
I didnt say anything about them being sent/ displayed anywhere. I was assured if anything happened to them ( theft, fire, accident whatever) I just need a police report, or proof of the loss or damage.
Then the coverage might not apply if it is out of your possession (say, like, in another state at a show) and something happens. You might want to check on that.

Cari
Old 02-04-2018, 07:18 AM

Thanks. That was helpful. I'll check into a specialty company.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:02 AM

Wow, great question. I think you would have a very hard time getting a reimbursement for a damaged quilt from your insurance company. One thing that would definitely help would be an appraisal from a company specializing in quilts. But, I had a shipping business for 29 years and when folks would insure their packages I would always explain that they would have to offer very specific proof for high value items. And, the insurance company will be very stringent about the handling of the item. Folks just don't realize the time (hence cost) put into making a quilt - only the fabrics.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:44 AM

I agree with Cari, ckcowl, if you are shipping or showing your quilt, you need to ensure it is covered when it is away from your home. Also have your insurance agent define coverage for theft, burglary and robbery, they are three different things and theft is the least likely to be covered.

If you do not show or ship your quilts, the coverage you currently have maybe all you need.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:11 PM

Ask the show people about their insurance. Most major shows should have insurance for the pieces at the show itself or ask you to sign a waiver that they don’t have to insure. That doesn’t cover the quilt while in transit.