Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gas or electric dryer - what do you prefer and why >

Gas or electric dryer - what do you prefer and why

Gas or electric dryer - what do you prefer and why

Old 03-20-2018, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Will not do anything gas. My grandmother had lost her sense of smell and was nearly killed when there was a leak once. This is just my own fear.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:12 AM

I've always had an electric dryer but when I moved to IA the gas hookups were there so that's what I went with. I also had a gas water heater but due to improper installation of my chimney liner I had to switch to an electric water heater or pay big bucks for having a high cost upgraded water heater and vented out the side of the house. I see my power bill soar due to this. Wish I had my gas water heater back.

I find the gas dryer dries faster for me though I never really timed either one to know for sure.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:17 AM

I vote for gas. More expensive to buy but the extra cost is offset by savings
Old 03-20-2018, 06:57 AM

We switched to gas 20 years ago. Love it. It cut our drying time in half. It is a lot cheaper to run.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:06 AM

I have only an electric dryer. Don't have to worry about leaks or fumes.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:41 AM

Gas for sure. Cheaper to operate. More efficient.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I've only had gas so can't compare, however, when I move there is no gas unless I install propane tank. We are building the house with futures for propane but, initially, I'll be an all electric house. Not sure how well I'll do on an electric stove top....learning curve...
First big thing to learn about electric: it stays hot longer after you turn the switch off. Move any pan off that burner or it will keep cooking, maybe even burn what you're cooking. But on the other end, electric takes longer to heat up so you have to learn to adapt for that too.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:00 AM

Have only ever had electric appliances and it's all I'll have. Terrified of gas in homes, had a pipe leak to our water heater years ago, never going to be piped into my home again. Besides I only ever have one small dryer load a week. All other laundry is outside on the clothesline.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:32 AM
mac

I also live in California and gas is so much cheaper. I would again, depending on the cost of electricity vs gas, buy a gas dryer. However, having said that, I like to line dry most of my clothes, with the exception to my towels. I had to hang my towels for a while and boy did I miss my dryer. Nothing like soft towels from the dryer vs cardboard towels that have been hung outside. They may have nice outdoor smell, but my body objected to the defoliating towels, as they were like sandpaper.

My brother, who lives 12 miles from me, bought an electric dryer. I had to use it while I was at this house one day and I couldn't believe how hot it got. I was glad I was using it for towels and not for my clothes, as they would have shrunk for sure.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:36 PM

I used a gas dryer for years when we were first married. The last 3 dryers that I have purchased have been electric. I think clothes smell fresher when dried in an electric dryer. I always thought that the gas dryer left a slight odor in the clothes. I think it is easier to control the temperature in an electric dryer. Gas dryers may dry clothes faster, but at a higher heat, which is harder on clothes and causes more shrinkage. JMO