Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt backs? >

Quilt backs?

Quilt backs?

Old 03-28-2018, 12:59 PM

Default Quilt backs?

I can't be the only one that has a hard time doing the backs? I haven't been quilting but for maybe 3 to 4 years, I can do the fronts from patterns, but when it comes to doing the backs I am so ready to give it all up. I so wish the patterns artists would put instructions for the back in detail. I am such an instruction person.

I could just do a plain back but I like the looks of the quilt backs with a bit of a design to them, that's where I get in trouble, I am not a designer that is for sure.

Maybe I should just make 2 fronts and sew them together, it would sure be less stressing. LOL!!

Thanks for your help, Roseanna
Old 03-28-2018, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

`By the time I am done with the top the last thing I want to do is piece a backing. I don't mind having to add more of the backing if it comes up short. So I prefer a whole back.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:27 PM

I tend to do 8" or so strips that compliment the front of the quilt, plus border. I'm not a "pro" by any stretch of the imagination, but that' my unprofessional answer. Sometimes I also use a UFO for my quilt backing , or a Solid color to avoid a lot of confusion!
Old 03-28-2018, 04:11 PM

I think there is a class on Craftsy about doing quilt backs. Wait for a sale and purchase it.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:14 PM

The easiest back for me to make is extra blocks from the front in a column. I don't center it I like to go off to one side for variety. I like it because I hate to try to match seams on the back. This way, I can take a 42 w back and expand it with pattern. DH likes the backs better.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:19 PM

Making a back with some piecing/strips/blocks is not hard for me. The hard part is getting the backing straight so it doesn't look off kilter. It takes a bit of practice. I've only made a couple with designs on the back.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:26 PM

A simple format: draw a cross with the vortex off center. Move the longest stick off center of the vortex. Cut the fabric on these lines. Then use all the leftovers from making the front, piecing them in a creative way. First sew the two verticle lines back together with the piecing in between. Then put piecing in the horizontal seam and sew it back together. Probably try to draw it on a piece of paper first so you can get the idea. Tried to make a drawing, but it won't load.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:06 PM

My backs are always pieced.

If I have small pieces left over from the front I make those into blocks. I put them on the floor (my design wall). Then I measure left/right to see how much fabric I have to add to create a back. Once I get the left/right done then I work on the top/bottom to see what I then need.

The fabrics are always what is on the front. I always purchase more so I can do this.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:48 PM

Maryquilts has directions on an off center four patch. When I am struggling with What to put on the back, its my go to...

http://www.maryquilts.com/off-center-4-patch-backing/

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-21-2018 at 10:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-29-2018, 02:57 AM

backs is where my "I'm tired of looking at you" fabric goes, in pieces. They always look better than I imagined when I started, and it is surprising how many compliments I get on these backs!