Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Your experience with Fitbit? >

Your experience with Fitbit?

Your experience with Fitbit?

Old 04-24-2018, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Question Your experience with Fitbit?

A friend showed me hers and inspired me to try it again. Had a basic one a few years ago but got frustrated with trying to sync it up with MyFitnessPal on my iPhone. Turns out my husband has a "Surge" he is not using (because he can't read the watch without putting glasses on), so I'm going to try it again. Maybe it has improved. Aside from increasing how much I exercise, I would really like to lose some weight.

I am wondering what experiences others have had with it?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:51 AM

I liked it, but the first one I had was one that clipped onto clothes, that one quickly was lost to the washing machine, the holder is rubber but the electronics were destroyed. I then went to the Flex, it worked like a charm. But it didn't get me up and moving. It was interesting to see how little I actually walk during my day. I may have to give it a try again.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:53 AM

I had a Fitbit Zip for years and had pretty good luck with it. I just put it in my pants pocket and went on my way. Now I have a Fitbit One and it's a pain because it needs to be charged. It's supposed to notify me when it needs charging, but nope, rare to get that message. So I may go days without noticing that it's not working. I just like to see how many miles I walk in a day and don't need all those other functions. I don't need an electronic device to tell me I sleep poorly. I've had other brands and have had no luck with them. Actually, I'm pricing a new Zip because I prefer a battery instead of charging it (but almost $60.00, yikes!). I also use the Fitbit app on my phone and iPad and have had no problems with either.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:03 PM

I loved my zip. I wore it about 4 years, to set my intention each morning. Clipped it to the front of my bra.
I think I must have nudged it off when unloading the lawnmower bag a couple of weeks ago, I've walked and walked the lawn but no sign of it. Lime and I loved it.

But I don't plan on replacing it, too expensive. I'd never bother with the fancier ones, I'm too practical, and have my phone with me as little as possible so using an app would be a bust

here is an older thread too
Anyone use a FitBit?

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 04-24-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:42 PM

I had one that I used faithfully for a couple of years until the strap broke and couldn't be replaced (they have since re-designed the model or discontinued it, I'm not sure which). I tried some replacement pieces I found via Amazon that bridged the broken part but it just didn't seem to sit well. I do miss it and I'm thinking I might buy myself a new one since I was fortunate enough to get a tax refund this year!!!
Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 PM

I’m not tempted to buy Fitbit. I’ve had a basic pedometer I bought in the drug store several years ago. It tracks miles, steps, aerobic steps. Our church nurse promotes healthy living so she has pedometers for sale through her office $10.00 DH has one and he likes it.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:23 AM

I have the original small one that clips on. I clip it to my pants pocket, and since it has a sturdy clip, have never worried about losing it. It's just the basic one, have had it for 3-4? years. And since I try to check it at least once a day, if its battery is dead, I can get it replaced the same day.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:41 AM

I started to buy one of the Fitbit or something similar. While doing the research into which one to buy, I got to thinking about what I really needed. I don't want it to track how much sleep I am getting or if it is a sound sleep. I only want to count my steps. I don't have a home phone and my iPhone is always with me. I went looking at apps and found Stepz. It counts all your steps if you keep the phone on your body. It works for me. It keeps a history and it's free. There are other apps that map where you have been and count your steps. I am only walking in my house, along my streets and in some stores, so I don't really need that part.

Edited to add: I believe the Apple Watch will share info to Stepz so one may be in my future, but I don't want to carry a phone and have a watch on too, so I probably will continue to carry my iPhone in my pocket.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-25-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
I had a Fitbit Zip for years and had pretty good luck with it. I just put it in my pants pocket and went on my way. Now I have a Fitbit One and it's a pain because it needs to be charged. It's supposed to notify me when it needs charging, but nope, rare to get that message. So I may go days without noticing that it's not working. I just like to see how many miles I walk in a day and don't need all those other functions. I don't need an electronic device to tell me I sleep poorly. I've had other brands and have had no luck with them. Actually, I'm pricing a new Zip because I prefer a battery instead of charging it (but almost $60.00, yikes!). I also use the Fitbit app on my phone and iPad and have had no problems with either.
I keep my charger in the bathroom and every time I shower I charge my Fitbit. Easy to remember that way and keeps it charged. My charge will actually last a few days, but I usually take my charger with me when traveling.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:22 AM

I have considered getting one but my phone has a 'health' app on it; it counts steps, and miles which is basically all I want. It has a lot more information you can use but I just don't. Or because I've not figured out how to use it and then again maybe it has to be connected with an exterior source - like a fit bit or something similar. I just put it in my pocket in the morning and take it out at night; course you have a have some pants/jeans with a pocket. Works great.