Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Q'nique 15/21" tension >

Q'nique 15/21" tension

Q'nique 15/21" tension

Old 04-29-2018, 07:03 PM

Default Q'nique 15/21" tension

In reading facebook posts pertaining to Q'nique, it seems as though several people are having problems with their tension. I don't have a Q'nique but am wondering if it is the user or the machine. Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2018, 03:50 AM

i received one for christmas. i set up the video on how to adjust tension for my unique 15 and i did
mine following the video and i didn't have trouble.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by speters54 View Post
In reading facebook posts pertaining to Q'nique, it seems as though several people are having problems with their tension. I don't have a Q'nique but am wondering if it is the user or the machine. Any thoughts?
Mine Q is still on order, but I've been following the facebook group closely and wondered the same thing.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

The biggest learning curve for any longarm user is how to deal with tension. I don't know anything about the Q'nique, but I do know that you will find quilters complaining about tension issues on every forum, for every machine. My concern would be whether there is good support for the machine you want to purchase. It doesn't have to be local support - most issues can be solved over the phone - but you do need to know that there is someone who is capable of helping you with any issue, including tension, at just about any time.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

I agree with checking on support, especially if you are not familiar with mechanical sewing machines.
Here is a great video on setting tension. I have friends with various brands of machines and it seems to be working for all of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Old 04-30-2018, 05:50 AM

I agree about there being a steep learning curve with tension on LA's. One of the big things is that you need to adjust bobbin tension for each thread, something we rarely do with domestic machines. I struggled and struggled with tension for my HQ until I bought a towa gauge and put a digital readout on my top tension. now I have very little in tension problems. I never could get a good feel for the drop test, and never could remember which way to turn the dial to increase/decrease tension. Now I set my bobbin at 200 and adjust the top tension to balance, and I'm good to go. Top tension will vary between 550 and 800 on my gauge, so that is quite a bit of variation.

Then add in the tension problems that are due to the tension on the quilt sandwich - What I can say, quilting is so much funner after I figured out all this. You could say the problem was both machine and operator. The machine is particular, and I had to learn those particulars.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:29 AM

Don't forget that the tension can and does vary from one quilt to another.....according to thickness of fabric, batting used, thread used, etc.

I don't have a Q'nique machine either, but on my Ken Quilt short-arm, those are the main things that I have found that make a big difference for me.

Last edited by DebbieJJ; 05-01-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:39 AM

[QUOTE=DebbieJJ;8050450]Don't forget that the tension can and does vary from one quilt to another.....according to thickness of fabric, batting used, thread used, etc.

I agree totally with DebbieJJ that tension can vary from one quilt to another. I check the tension every time I do a quilt. I test the tension on the backing with a scrap next to the quilt on my Q'nique. If I use the same thread on both top and bottom, it is usually enough to have the turn knob flush with the end of the spool (hope that is the right word). I use the Jamie Wallen to make sure the bottom thread tension is correct first. If needed, I adjust the top tension. My favorite thread is the Glide brand for both top and bottom.

If using different threads or different thread weights on both top and bottom, I use the Jamie Wallen method (Google this online for information). This is when I experiment with the top tension knob until I find the right tension. It has worked for me every time.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:22 PM

Are those of you who own a Q'Nique pleased with your machines? They are so new that you don't find many owners to ask for their opinions. Is the harp space adequate? Trying to decide whether or not to upgrade.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:36 AM

cant wait to see your answers, I'm about to purchase the Q'Nique 15.