Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
New to Quilting and the Board :) >

New to Quilting and the Board :)

New to Quilting and the Board :)

Old 05-13-2018, 10:23 PM

Default New to Quilting and the Board :)

Hello everyone! I am new to quilting, and this group. I think I have all the supplies I need to get started and want to learn a little more before I start cutting up my fabric and oiling my sewing machine!

Do you wash your whole bundle of fabric before you start cutting? I saw somewhere else that it was highly suggested when working with cotton to wash it before you start the project.

How do you revise sizing? I found a really cute pattern but it is the size for a baby and I want a little bit larger of a quilt.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:42 AM

Hello and welcome from Oregon!

i personally haven’t been prewashing my fabrics, in part, because I’m using precuts. Jelly rolls etc.

im not sure about resizing and will be curious to see what our more experienced quilters say.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:04 AM

Welcome from North Carolina.

I don't prewash, but I don't make those wonderful quilts that go to shows and/or hang on walls. I love to see them though and wish I had that kind of talent. You've come to the right place to get all your questions answered.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 05-14-2018, 03:10 AM

Welcome from NJ. You'll get many different answers on whether to wash or not. It really is personal preference but highly recommended for red or other highly saturated colors. I prewash everything.

As to making your quilt larger, the easiest way is to just make more blocks! Re-sizing blocks is a bit trickier depending on the pattern.

Good luck with your project. Remember, it's not a race. Take your time and have fun.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:59 AM

Welcome from Tennessee. I am in general not a prewasher. But if I have a fabric that looks like it may bleed I will test it. As for resizing it depends on the pattern. Some you can cut larger pieces. Some just make more blocks. If you let us know what pattern you are making we can give you some suggestions.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Precuts need to be hand washed or they will fray. Depending on the pattern you can do more blocks or add sashing and borders.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:32 AM

Hi from Alabama! You will enjoy the friendly atmosphere here....and we will help you all we can, if we know the answer. About prewashing fabric, like NJ Quilter, I only prewash the darker fabrics, like red, black, and dark blue, and I have washed some teals before using, and I was glad I did. It bled into the water pretty bad.

Also like NJ Quilter said, the easiest way to make your quilt larger is to just make more blocks until you get your quilt the size you want it.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:15 AM

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone!

I will upload a picture of the pattern and fabrics I have picked out. I have a dark grey, blues, oranges, and pinks. I forgot how much fabric I purchased since I purchased it a while back. I do remember that I purchase more then I thought I would need so I had some fabric to play with to get used to my sewing machine again.

My quilting got a delayed start since I got engaged at the end of august. I planned wedding, worked full time, and back up both mine and my husbands homes in TX while he was doing job training in CA. We only had a two month engagement (his new job needed him to start immediately) and we moved and got married the same weekend! We've been married since October, and things have settled down enough for me to get started quilting!