Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Temporary quilt sleeves >

Temporary quilt sleeves

Temporary quilt sleeves

Old 06-01-2018, 03:56 PM

Default Temporary quilt sleeves

Rather than sewing a sleeve to the back of the quilt, is there a way to make one that can be attached and/or removed based on when one wants to display a quilt?
Old 06-01-2018, 04:09 PM
DJ

You could put a hanging sleeve at the top, and it could still be used as a throw or bed quilt without removing the hanging sleeve. Or you could add a hanging sleeve with basting stitches that could be take out when done hanging.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Safety pins through the sleeve and backing only? Have no idea if that would work, but thought it might be worth experimenting with.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:52 PM

Depends on why a sleeve is needed. Shows have different rules. Our guild realizes most of the quilts in it's show are to used not for display. Therefore, they want the sleeve attached anyway it will stay put through the show.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:18 PM

On the wall-hangings approximately 36" square or so, I have sleeves that were sewn into their bindings, through which a rod is placed. To display a larger quilt (e.g., a Christmas log cabin quilt or the current one I have hanging, a King's Crown quilt about 50"x70", there are also sleeves at the top, because displaying them was the primary intention. However, I am wanting to change out the larger one (living room wall behind couch). There is a permanent (for this year) rod here for this purpose. So, I was thinking maybe one could use Velcro or something to attach a sleeve to a quilt. I just wondered if anyone had done something like this, because the quilts I want to rotate in this spot are for use, primarily.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:22 PM

I would be afraid safety pins might rip the backing or at least put holes in the backing, which I wouldn't want. I guess I am wondering if something like Velcro or Command strips would work? There is a permanent rod for quilts on the wall I am wanting to rotate quilts on. Another thought, do people actually put sleeves on quilts that are really designed to be used and only displayed when they have jut been completed. Your thoughts?
Old 06-01-2018, 05:29 PM

So do you have any idea how some of the sleeves were attached temporarily? I've considered trying Velcro or maybe Command picture frame strips. There is a permanent rod on the wall behind my couch where I wish to rotate quilts. I have, for example, a fairy large Christmas log cabin quilt, and there is a sleeve because the quilt was made specifically to display during the holidays. Right now, there is a King's Crown quilt hanging, and I did put a sleeve, but after this, I intend it for use. Do people attach sleeves JUST IN CASE they want to display them, and if so, would people think it was odd and not comfortable looking if a sleeve were attached? Any recommendations?
Old 06-01-2018, 07:01 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Cafe curtain clips?

Bit...you don’t need to take the sleeve off. The quilt on the bed in FL has a sleeve on it.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

I have seen a hanging sleeve put on a quilt that was later used on a bed. They matched the sleeve to the backing fabric and it wasn't very noticable.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:21 PM

This is from the Shipp Family website using safety pins. Maybe it will work for you. http://theshippfamily.blogspot.com/2...-easy-way.html