Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what's wrong? >

what's wrong?

what's wrong?

Old 06-09-2018, 09:31 PM

Some rotary cutters have a washer in them. If you open the cutter to put a new blade in and the washer disappears - but you don't know it was even in there - poor cutting results.

This is another of those 'ask me how I know' things...
Old 06-10-2018, 03:20 AM

Yep, my hand is raised also
Old 06-10-2018, 03:47 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've now watched the video and it may be that I put the washer on incorrectly. Too, I put a drop of oil on the back side of the blade to see if that will help any. I used a marker to put a dot on the blade so I can watch if it's turning. Now to try this again. Thank you all!
Old 06-10-2018, 05:22 AM

One other thought: Make sure you lay out the parts in the order you disassemble your cutter. It is ever so much easier to then reassemble. (Ask me how I know!)
Old 06-10-2018, 05:30 AM

I find that if I use a 60mm cutter, it works best on 4 layers or more.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:31 AM
mac

Often times the lint in your cutter will prevent the rotory cutter blade from rolling smoothly. This is why I make sure to clean my cutter and blade often, especially if I see any lint built up on the cutter. Cleaning your cutter every so often, inbetween blade changes will also keep your blade sharper longer. Not only do I oil the blade, but I also oil any part of the cutter that rubs against any other part, like the spindle portion where the blade turns. We put a lot of pressure on the blade when we cut, therefore there is a lot of pressure on the spindle. Oiling the spindle will help the blade to roll smoothly. Of course, when I say 'oil' I only use the tiniest drop of oil.

If I am sewing at the Senior Center and I have to clean my rotary cutter, I will also offer to clean other rotary cutters. I figure if I have all of the parafanalia out, I might as well do a service for others and it only takes a few minutes to do. I am amazed how often I hear an exclamation on how much better their cutter is working.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:56 AM

The rotary cutters I have had did wear out eventually. The stem becomes worn and is not round. When that happens, the whole thing is tossed. Cheaper to buy new and have it work properly .

I have a mis-shappen left index finger thanks to not paying attention. I sliced a pretty good chunk off, but after racing to the dr. and being treated by EMT, the dr. threw the piece in the trash. Too small to sew back on. I still have the scar.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:44 PM

Me too. I found the bit of finger between the blade and the guard later. Eventually they do fade away and the fingerprints regrow. After 20 years, I have to look close and in just the right light to see mine.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

A few times I have forgotten the correct way to reassemble my cutter after changing blades. Had to look it up. A couple of times I had blades stick together, would not cut. I guess my mind wasn't on what I was doing. I have thought a few of my handles had gone bad. Nope I now have four cutters.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
All the above suggestions are good ones. I don't think the cutters wear out.
Oh yes they do. I used my Fiskars rotary cutter from the day I started my second quilt in 1992. Last year, suddenly every time I tried to cut with it, it would snap closed and cut nothing. I had worn off the nub that keeps them open to cut with. I. Guess I wore it out closing it every time an used it or something, but 27 years for a ten dollar (a lot of money in 1992!) investment is not bad. Closing when you do not want it to, is much better than opening at inappropriate times in my book.