Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Top Stitch Problem >

Top Stitch Problem

Top Stitch Problem

Old 06-17-2018, 10:57 AM

Default Top Stitch Problem

Can anybody help with top stitch not looking nice. I have had my machine serviced but unable to speak directly with serviceman. The top stitch is not looking like individual stitches but rather just a long running stitch. I’ve tried playing with the tension and it just becomes too loose or to tight. My machine use to do the job right but somehow it won’t now. Machine is around 5 years old. Can anybody help please. TIA.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:08 AM

Hi Chris,

My first thought is that the thread may not be in the bobbin tension spring. Did you re-thread the bobbin?

If the thread is in the tension spring, and it still isn't stitching correctly, you may need to tighten the bobbin tension.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

ITA with QuiltedSunshine ...
My first thing is always to totally unthread and re-thread both the bobbin and top thread.

Is your machine stitching fine, when not doing the topstitch?

Try switching out your thread for a different type of thread, and see if that makes a difference.

How many layers are you attempting to go through?
What kind of fabric/battings/etc. are you working with?
Old 06-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Not sure if this applies to your machine, but, sometimes in a top loading bobbin, the thread will jump out of that slot and cause all kinds of issues. Mine does this sometimes and it took me a long time to figure it out. Agree with rethreading, and if a top loader make sure thread is where it needs to be.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:36 PM

Is the machine working on different stitches? Different fabrics?

Try a new bobbin. Re-thread the machine. Change the needle. Are the feed dogs engaged?

If you have setting switches check those to make sure they are on the right setting.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:15 PM

Are you doing free motion stitching for the top stitch or regular stitching. Just wondering because while doing FMQ, I sometimes have stitches that look like they are laying on top of the fabric. Doesn't help you , I know, but I would love to find an answer for this problem, too. Will be watching.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:39 AM

I have had great luck in using Jamie Wallen's method for adjusting tension whenever I change threads or use two different thread weights (one for the top and the other for the bottom) or fabrics. Once the bobbin tension is good, it is then easier to adjust the top thread tension. Just Google his name and look for a tutorial.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I was piecing and the bobbin thread started looking bad. I cleaned and started again. still the same. aurifil thread. then i put essential thread in bobbin. still the same. finally gave up and put essential for top thread. my machine was happy again!!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 AM

If you have a computerized machine, try shutting it down, then starting fresh. It would help us if we knew what make/model machine you have.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:31 AM

I know it sounds simple, but are you using a topstitching needle? For years I did not and thought it was fine. Once I actually tried one, it was amazing the difference.