Elna SU cam questions

Old 07-09-2018, 02:01 PM

Default Elna SU cam questions

I just grabbed this Elna SU. After a lot of lube the stich selector switch (blue arrow) works. ( maybe?) and the cam will power turn one revolution with a nudge from my finger when it is in this position ( Yellow arrow) then it stops.

If someone has one of these.. Can you tell me if it should zigzag without a cam? Is this a symptom of a broken gear under the accessory cam drive? What else am I missing. The manual is less than helpful.

Thanks much. Right now it is a nice and fast straight stitcher.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597571[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails elna-su-top-insides-arrows-b.jpg  
Old 07-09-2018, 02:10 PM

PS Do Supermatics take the same cams? https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...53-572146.html Thanks again
Old 07-09-2018, 02:30 PM

I see you question was awhile ago but I just signed up so hope this is helpful. I have an SU air electronic, it doesn't require a cam for the zig zag and a few other stitches that are displayed on the machine at the left. You need to adjust the dials to match the numbers that correspond to those stitchers.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:01 PM

It zigzags with out cams, it has six built in sitches, and there might be a setting for double cams (red stitch pattern) like you have inserted. Most Supermatics take the cams used up until around 1980, but the very early ones have a slighly different fitting. Some have grinded the inner edge older cams down to fit the newer models.

The stitch width knob has to be set to zero before you change stitch pattern; 1 on the stitch selection dial is zigzag. After selecting a stitch the stitch width knob can be used regularly again. It's the same when replacing cams, stitch width knob has to be set to zero.

Poke the swing arm behind the face plate and see if it moves freely left to right, do the same for all the moving parts under the top. Oil, oil and oil. Test the needle positioner.

I think the stitch width knob has some pull out - push in function, but I can't find a manual. I think the regular stitch width is set from 1-4 but again, this needs to be confirmed some where and explained in detail.

Last edited by Mickey2; 07-09-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM

Thanks to both of you.

Stitchertime. welcome aboard. I bet you read my start date. I posted just about an hour agiao.

Mickey2. needle positioner works I'll poke the swing arm and let you know. It is baking in a hot car right now.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
I just grabbed this Elna SU. After a lot of lube the stich selector switch (blue arrow) works. ( maybe?) and the cam will power turn one revolution with a nudge from my finger when it is in this position ( Yellow arrow) then it stops.
Sorry, I don't have one of those. Recently I was working on the Miracle which has cams. I did need to adjust the follower. Yours looks more complicated. I'm guessing the cam has a hole that a pin goes into. I adjusted the Miracle incorrectly the first time. When I watched the cam follower it wouldn't actually touch the cam during the whole cycle. So I adjusted it. However, when it was straight stitching the part with the pin rotates, and the follower would hit the pin and cause a ZZ stitch. So I had to adjust again, and finally got it so the follower would follow, but not hit the pin while straight stitching. I'm not sure if yours would rotate even without a cam, but it might give a hint of what needs to be adjusted.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM

Mickey2, Swing arm works if I nudge it with this arm ( white arrow/blue trim.) that follows the built in cam under the replaceable cam but so far, I can't get the machine to turn that cam without help. Haven't given up.

Janey I got the pin and hole to match on the cam.. And since I know you want a pic of the complete machine...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597623[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]597624[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails elna-zz-hook-white-arrow-b.jpg   elna-su-front-b.jpg  
Old 07-10-2018, 01:32 PM

Is the brown stuff on the Elnagraph rust or darkened oil? The release knob on the Elnagraph is an oil point, takes a bit of time and effort to seep in every where. There is a plastic gear under there, it can be missing a few teeth. There's a youtube video on it. I know a few who has had this machine from new and still keep it in regular use. The repair is worth it for anyone who will use the machine.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Janey I got the pin and hole to match on the cam.. And since I know you want a pic of the complete machine...
Thank you for knowing me so well.

Did you get a case with it? Would the free arm type case work with your machine?

It seems to me the regular follower should follow smoothly. Have you tried a regular ZZ? Maybe just a bit more lubrication and exercise. And maybe some minor adjustment somewhere along the line.

Sorry I can't be more helpful about the cams, but maybe??? the case???

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 07-10-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:20 AM

I dug out my TSP to compare the insides. Sill playing with the SU.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597676[/ATTACH] SU didn't come with a case but the TSP came with the blue Steel folding case with inlet for the free arm. Pics later.
Attached Thumbnails elna-tsp-star-b.jpg